Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lan to lan conection

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenris

Programmer
May 20, 1999
CA
I have an NT domain at the main office and a small network of NT machines located about 25 miles away. We were using a device called a webramp(2 actually, 310e <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> until the one out at the remote site became fried. What the device did was to allow the computers to access the domain. The setup I have out there now is one computer is hooked up to a modem and dialed in continuously. This is ok for now, it allows mission critical data to be polled from/to the remote machine. I am looking for a hardware or software solution that would allow for the same sort of network access that the webramp device did at a much cheaper cost. The webramps are around $1000 USD plus shipping, my boss (CFO) doesn't want to pay that much for a device that would do the job.<br><br>Any comments, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.<br><br>BTW, all machines are winNT 4.0 workstations and thre NT4 servers.<br> <p>Troy Williams B.Eng.<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

The cheapest solution I can up with is upgrade two machines to W2K and use the multi-modem feature and use multiple modems to connect the two networks. I am very pleased with the speed increases between wkstn 4.0 and W2K.

G.L.

I thought about upgrading the systems to w2k, unfortunately our mission critical software providers advised against it. So my boss will not let me go ahead with the idea.

Thanks anyway

Microsoft has just what you are looking for it's called RRAS

the above link will take you to the download site

It is called Routing and Remote Access
I use it for the very reason you need, it will allow for a multi modem connection for scalability and runs on NT4 SP 6a

You can run multiple modems that will bind to make a sigle net connection between two NT machines, but you will need two modems and phone lines. I think this would be a moer expensive option in the long run because of the recurring cost of the extra phone line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back