Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LAN SETUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahkit81

Technical User
Mar 4, 2004
JP
hi im new in setting up lan.i like to network a small office with around 20 users.i plan to get 3servers :1 win2k advance server for DC,1 win2k for norton antivirus corporate server and one more running on redhat for email server. how can i hooked up all this together? i got a router to connect all the 3servers and a switch for connecting the 20 users to the router.What kind of settings i should do to the DC, norton antivirus corporate server and the redhat?

With 3 servers and twenty users you need all the users and servers plugged into the switch not the router, the router is for connecting different subnets together or merely for connection to the internet or other offices. You can run all 23 hosts on one subnet so the internal LAN traffic does not need routing. I would suggest the following;

SERVERS ---------- SWITCH -------- PCs and router.

I realise this fills a 24 port switch completely but you will not be disappointed with the outcome.

basicly i already got the idea of how to connect the servers with the PCs....
but what about the servers settings? do i need to setup a acc for the norton antivirus servers and the redhat servers in the domain controller??

I already setup a couple of networks a while ago using Norton Anti-Virus Corporate edition. All I had to do was NAV Corp on the server (I don't exactly remember the settings). Then on each client computer, install the client version of NAV Corp. During the install of the client soft, it will ask if the computer will run indepedantly or connect to server (not the exact wording used). In the case of fixed desktop computers, you enter the name of the server that has NAV Corp server installed. That way, whenever a update is needed, it will connect to the NAV server instead of going to the Internet. I don't remember setting up any "special accounts". However, with Norman (another anti-virus soft), you must create a user account on the server.

thank you akwong. Actually im more interested in the software configuration for all the servers. anyone can help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back