Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lan settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

malagash

Technical User
Aug 29, 2006
CA
I have an HP runing XP Home. It is plugged into a router as are 3 other machines. When I try to go online with the HP I constantly get a "You are currently working offline" window and I have to Try again to get online. From time to time if I click a link to go to another page I get the same window.

The only difference I can see between machines is the LAN settings. Where the other machines have nothing checked in the LAN Settings window the HP has "Use Automatic configuration script" checked with the entry being "
I deleted the http: line abd unchecked teh box, clicked OK, went back online but when I checked the LAN settings again the entry was back and checked.

Why can I not get rid of this setting?

The other machines are no problem, I just plug them in or turn them on and browse.

Thanks

I think it has something to do with Google Web Accelerator. Do you have this program installed? Here is a page about GWA:

And here is what it says you need to do to uninstall GWA, which presumably will removed the unwanted Internet Options settings:

4. How do I uninstall Google Web Accelerator?

If you decide you don't want to use Google Web Accelerator, here's how to uninstall it:

Click on Start > Settings > Control Panel to open the Windows Control Panel.
Click on Add or Remove Programs to open its window.
Click on Google Web Accelerator. A Remove button will appear below the Google Web Accelerator item.
Click the Remove button.
Close the Add or Remove Programs window and the Windows Control Panel.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back