Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LAN printer won't print 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

tal001

Technical User
Aug 28, 2008
US
Hi,

I have a Brother printer, model 2070N. It wired to my wireless Belkin router for 3 computers on my home network. It works fine until a month ago when I can't print. I can't ID what's new when the probelm started. When I repower the router and one computer it will work but then stop after the next comture reboot. Once it stopped, it affected all 3 computers. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

If you router has a DHCP range of 100-200 then pick an address number outside of this range and you should be good to go

In a small environment like this one where there is only one network printer involved, I would still recommend assigning the IP by MAC address. You only have to do it one time to reserve the IP assignment.

In a larger environment, you would want to rely on a different model by using IP's outside of the DHCP range like you said and not going through the extra step of using the MAC address (which can become tedious and unnecessary).

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Too true, cdogg. I'm so used to the large scale environment that I lose sight of small org structures...

cckens

"Not always my best shot, but I hit the target now and then"
-me

It seems to me that tal001 is IP-challenged enough so why do you want to add even more confusion by introducing MACs into the mix? Set the IP on the printer and forget any setting in the router. How can this be made easier by using MACs? When would this be easier/better in any environment?

I don't mind if any or all of the questions are not answered until tal001 has his problem(s) resolved, but I am certainly interested in the pros of the MAC and DHCP approach.

Freestone,
It seems you are accustomed to a large-scale approach as well. Look, there are a lot of different ways to resolve this. There's no denying that. However, this is how I would rank the ones we've discussed.

3) Manual IP on Printer
- Random
- Unprotected
(Freestone)

2) Manual IP on Printer outside of DHCP range
- Slightly random
- Protected from devices using DHCP
(cckens)

1) Manual IP on router using MAC address of Printer / Then set manual IP on Printer to match
- Random
- Protected from all other IP assignments
(~yours truly)

Not surprisingly, if ranked from most difficult to the easiest, they would be in the reverse order. All three work. The reason why one is better than another is because there is less risk involved.

Take #3 for example. If I took the suggestion literally, I might set the IP to 192.168.2.2. Well since it appears that the Belkin router apparently uses the subnet range 192.168.2.x and the DHCP range starts at 192.168.2.2, there is a potential conflict just waiting to happen. Other computers/devices connected to the router might get assigned that address if the printer is turned off or loses power. Obviously, you know where this is going.

cckens suggestion gets around this problem and would work. My only problem with it is that if another static IP device is added later, you could possibly assign the same IP by mistake. That of course is a bigger problem when you have a lot of devices being added to the same subnet. In this situation, it might not really matter. The way I look at it is if you are checking to see what the DHCP range is on the router anyway, you might as well set the IP by MAC address while you're in there. You're talking about an extra few seconds here. Not only do you avoid potential conflicts by using MAC filtering, but you also allow the printer to show up in the router's network table when viewing connected devices. That's obviously not a crucial benefit, but efficient nonetheless.

It's all a matter of opinion and preference. You can play devil's advocate to any approach...

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein

Well said, cdogg, except that cckens suggestion of a an address outside the DHCP scope is the same as what I said no less than twice. No way would I ever suggest a random IP that would introduce a potential IP conflict.

Thanks for all the explanations. What I tried to say is that I can use BRAdmin program from Brother to change the printer IP. But will that make the changed IP static and the router will know that and the other computers will know that also? I can not see a way with this Belkin router to set a static IP for the printer. (This sounds like method 2 with Cdogg)

About the MAC method, I can get the MAC from the printer but I can not see a way to assign the MAC to a static IP from the Belkin manual. There is MAC filtering but I believe that I also have to get all the MAC on 5 computers, 1 NAT, and Vonage modem and that all can access the network with everything else block which is a rather complex way since I have occasional other computers access the network.

Freestone,
Yes, sorry about that. I didn't notice your other posts until just now - I was only looking at the last one you made.

MAC-Address Filtering denies network access to any MAC not in the filter list, not what is desired.

That is not quite true. Routers typically have the option to enable the MAC filter without affecting DHCP. The D-Link and Linksys wireless routers I have at home both have this option (and they are old-school Wireless B routers).

~cdogg

One more thought. I can turn DHCP off and will that make all IP already on the network static? When I have a new computer or visitor, I can just turn DHCP on again. I try this and the printer printed but I will wait and see. Thanks.

tal001,
OK, I just looked up the manual for your Belkin router. You do not have the option to use MAC Address filtering without being forced to disable DHCP (something you don't really want to do).

So I would suggest going with method 2. Leave DHCP on in the router's settings, but back on the printer set a manual IP outside of this range. So pick something like 192.168.2.105 (you could replace 105 with any number higher than 100 and lower than 256).

BTW, I just reread the thread in its entirety. Apparently Freestone was right on the money in his second post.
I need to get better glasses! [glasses]

~cdogg

cdogg,
My glasses prescription is due to be changed too, so no problem :) As far as MAC-filtering, my statement was based on the first post by SlimJohnD referring to the Belkin manual page 63. This page states:

Belkin Router said:
Setting MAC Address Filtering
The MAC address filter is a powerful security feature that allows you
to specify which computers are allowed on the network. Any computer
attempting to access the network that is not specified in the filter list
will be denied access. When you enable this feature, you must enter
the MAC address of each client (computer) on your network to allow
network access to each.

I have to learn not to make these terse-while-a-work posts to avoid confusing readers.

tal001,
Don't use 192.168.2.255 for the printers address. This won't work as this is the broadcast address... Change cdogg's statement to read " (you could replace 105 with any number higher than 100 and lower than 255)." (sorry, cdogg).

Don't use 192.168.2.255 for the printers address. This won't work as this is the broadcast address.
No problem at all...good catch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back