Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LAN Printer sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keyboy

Technical User
Aug 22, 2003
US
Greetings,

We have a home LAN set up. Our daughter gave us a HP printer connected to a desktop via USB. The desktop is part of our LAN. We start the desktop and then the printer. However, every time we have to go to the desktop to turn on printer sharing so the printer will be available to the LAN computers. We didn't have to do this with our previous HP which was an LPT version. How can you make the sharing setting permanent?

Thanks for your help!

What OS are you using? Most modern printers only sleep and you can "turn off" only unplug. What is the model of the printer? Is it a USB 2.0 or 1.0? what driver version are you using? What is the patch level of your OS? Is your computer shuting down or hibernating? many drivers are poorly written and don't come out of stanby or hibernation mode cleanly.

Sorry I forgot to supply everything. Both computers are running XP sp2. The printer is a HP J5700 which is connected to the desktop via a usb port. We start and shut down both every day because of a high level of power glitches where we live. We are using the latest driver from the HP web site.

Thanks for your help!

How do you turn on sharing?

The right way is "Start", "Printers and Faxes", right-click on the printer, left-click on "Sharing", turn on "Share this printer", "OK", close, close.

I had similar problems on a home part-wired, part-wireless network (I think each PC had a different version of windows!) and could not get the sharing to work reliably with the printer attached to one of the PC's USB port.

In the end I bought an HP Jetdirect 175x off Flea-bay for about £25 (US$50?) and plugged it into the router. There's been no problem since and, of course, it's not dependent on the host PC being on for printing.

Liverpool: Capital of Culture 2008
Anfield: Capital of Football since 1892
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

First, when you start the system always have the peripherals connected to it on and in ready mode before applying power to computer. Again I must strong state that you select SHUTDOWN not let the computer sleep or hibernate. Also list the process that YOU DO FOR “we have to go to the desktop to turn on printer sharing so the printer will be available to the LAN computers”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back