Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LAN Port 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonltgmblr

Technical User
Apr 28, 2008
US
Three days ago I got a call from an onsite IT person to inform me that all the IP Phones had lost connection to the call server. I assumed a simple wiring issue...wrong! I can ping the IP Office but cannot communicate using Manager. I have tried replacing the base unit, powering down using reset on back of system, recreated IP Office SD card (IP Office ULaw), defaulted system using reset on back of base unit whereas the system booted in basic mode (originally Essential), IP address did not go back to default (192.168.42.1). The release is 8.1.95. I have not replaced SD Card but I was informed that recreate was successful! Everything I have done with SD card has been done on my laptop...obviously, since I cannot communicate with IP Office. There, that's about it. I hope there are some great techs still coming to this site.

Have you connected your computer directly to the IP Office LAN port when you tried to access it?
If you replaced the base unit you must have been able to connect to that at some point?

Could be something simple like someone put a server on the same IP and that answers on ping.
Does it still answer when you disconnect the IPO? =)

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

Talk about over thinking things, address clash or network issue 100%.
All done so far is not necessary :)

Indeed, the key question is what changed?

Whatever answered the ping may not have been the IP Office and that would explain the phones all stopping as well.

So disconnect the IP Office from the LAN and connect directly to it. If the LAN port doesn't work try the WAN/LAN2 port which may still be on its default of 192.168.43.1 address. Unfortunately 192.168.42.1 is a default address used by a lot of IT kit on first installation. In fact I would always recommend changing the IP Office away from the default address during installation to reduce the risk of future conflicts.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

OK...as the story continues, one piece of information I failed to include but have found out since is that for some reason my laptop which has never had any problems communicating with IPO has I have come to find out a problem...I have deleted and reloaded Manager but it just don't work...unfortunately as I am trouble shooting I haven't found that out yet. So, on IT persons suggestion, I run a Cat 6 ethernet cable up the stair from the IPO to the switch. He plugged it in the switch I the IPO. It worked, hmmm, something with the existing cabling. Hard to believe but I then run 2 cat6 cables over the meadow and through the woods to get to the switch. It's late I'm tired...I observe the blf and all seem fine, I have the receptionist call an IP phone it works...I'm outa here! No more than an hour later I get 'THE CALL'...all the IP phones have gone out again. I apologize for all this drama but I feel obligated to those that chose to help what it turned out to be. I returned and put back the up the stair ethernet cable but I find this time it did not correct the problem...hmmm, well on a whim I plugged into another of the multiple switches and bingo! It was one of his switches...I feel a whole lot better now. Thank you all that offered assistance.
I hope I can help someone sometime.

bye

moonlightgamblr said:
It was one of his switches...I feel a whole lot better now. Thank you all that offered assistance.
I hope I can help someone sometime.
Always is :)
hopefully after this experience you will remember the VoIP trouble shooting procedure below

1) check the customers data network
2) go back to step 1 you have missed something

:)

Also star given as you may already have helped someone else (or could in the future) by confirming the solution

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Have another star for this from me.

I carry a PoE switch that I usually use in cases like that because most IT guys don't know networking as well as they claim and taking the connection off their network has saved me numerous times.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back