Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lan internet sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I am having difficulty setting up my internet connection on my lan.
My curent settings are:

Netgear Fast Ethernet switch. Both machines via there nic into the hub. My cable modem is also connected directly into the hub. This computer is able to access the internet and both computers can sense and modify each other in windows.
How do is set up the conection so my other pc can access the internet as well.
I has to be able to access the web and also play quake 3 etc through the conenction.
I have tried using wingate but i cant get it to work :/

Any easy to use programs etc is highyl appreciated.

This machine is on 2k and my older computer is on 98se. I cannot install other operationg systems

Thx

You need to have the computer without the internet connection connect via lan to the one with it, and then connect the one with it to the cable modem.

So, put a second NIC into the computer with network connectivity and plug that one into the hub. Plug the original card into the cable modem. Plug your other computer into the hub.

You'll have to set the new NIC to a private IP (192.168.0.*, 10.*.*.*, etc), and you'll have to have your original set to DHCP (or however it's already setup, you shouldn't have to change it at all).

In 2k there are options to enable internet sharing. Try that out. If you can't figure it out (I don't know how to do it with win2k, I've only done it with Linux) then wingate should work now.

Hope this helps.

You need to put a DHCP NAT capable DSL/Cable router between the cable modem and the switch. Right now the cable modem is delivering one ip to to the switch and the switch is passing that through to the pc. A DHCP router will assign ip addresses to your network pc's and still look like one ip address to the cable modem. LinkSys makes a good two port Cable/DSL router that also is NAT capable for about $80.00. The advantage to NAT is that the ip addresses the router hands out to your network are not Internet routable. This gives you a pretty reliable and inexpensive firewall.

Hi,

You may need to look for a SO/HO Cable/DSL router that has the ability to clone MAC addresses depending on your ISP. With my ISP, the MAC address of your network card is registered. You can only have (I think) 1 at a time so my router needed this functionality.

Regards

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back