Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LAN CONNECTION SHARING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judai

Programmer
Oct 23, 2002
IL
Hello,

I have a web connection, made of the 'Network and dial-up connection' section.

I surf through a cable modem.

I have, on this Web connection, on its properties sheet, marked the following:

Internet Connection Sharing:
Enable internet connection sharing for this connection.

I still can't surf through this connection.

Does anyone have a solution or know the problem.

Thanks,
J.

Can you give some more detail please (like your physical network setup - machines, cables, hubs/routers etc).

Where's the problem? Is you cable modem attached to machine with a CAT5 or USB cable? Are you saying you think you've shared the connection but other machines can't connect? Are other machines set up to pick up IP address automatically?

wolluf,

Here goes:
Cable Modem is USB.
Connected 2 a W2k machine, that just now I have found out that is inaccessable from the W2k advanced server machine (maybe that is why?! HOW DO I FIX THIS???)

W2k machine is connected 2 the network through HUB 10BaseT Cat5 cables.

The server is a DNS & DHCP, but local machine wont loggin 2 the Domain.

It only logges on 2 it self & connects 2 the network through a workgroup.

I just tried working through the Network Identification Wizard & recieved the following: The credintials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials.

Woow, this is getting complicated.

I C the station on the server but with no access from the server, I can access the server from the station.

Any solution???

& yes, the local WEB connection is shared, or so it seems.

The machine with the internet connection needs 2 nic, nic to modem must have tcp/ip enabled in properties, then either a crossover cable in the second nic ,which also has tcp/ip enabled,or a patchcord to a hub-router-switch then a patch cord to the next machine. the second machine in your situation should not be on a domain. make sure that dhcp is enabled, both machines have same name for workgroup also that tcp/ip is enabled. ( netbeui will let you see and acess the other computer but not acess the internet)

Judai,

Your problem is probably DHCP. Your 2k server is a DHCP server - BUT when you enable ICS on the 2k pro machine, it becomes a DHCP server too! For ICS to work normally, the host machine becomes a DHCP server and its LAN NIC has IP address 192.168.0.1 (255.255.255.0 subnet). It then allocates IP addresses in this range to other machines on network which want to share the connection. Can't you plug the modem into the server machine (I'm not au fait with 2k server, but presume it can share internet connections as 2k pro can). Alternatively, remove the DHCP server from the 2k server and make it pick up IP address from 2k pro's DHCP server.

Thanks alot guys,

I'll give it a try...& let U guys know how it went.

J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back