Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LAN Connection Disappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.

vectorgod

MIS
Dec 30, 2004
US
I noticed that my Local Area Connection was missing from my Network Connections folder. I must not have noticed earlier because I normally use wireless. Naturally I thought that either the drivers never got installed when I formatted a few months ago or that I had disabled at some point in my BIOS. Turns out that I don't even have that option in my BIOS, and I checked my Device Manager to find that the netword card is there and "The device is working properly." Next step was to find out if it was in fact working properly so I did an ipconfig and there it was, Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection. I had a 169.254.x.x address because I didn't have my DHCP machine running. So I turned that on and did a renew and it picked up the 192.168.0.x address. Final test: I connected my gateway to the internet and I was able to use the internet (and file sharing and everything else).

It doesn't affect the functionality at all except that I can't change any of the settings. I suspect that something is missing in the registry. Does anyone have any idea about how to get the icon to reappear in Network Connections?

I actually think that there should be a 1394 connection that isn't showing up either.

Thanks bcaster, looks like I was missing a mildly useful Windows component. I guess Gateway thinks I don't need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back