Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lan certifiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

edgley

Technical User
May 6, 2003
GB
Hi,

I found an old thread on here talking about the Testum Validator and the Fluke DSP range. The difference being, other than the price, that the Fluke will give certification.

Well I have a need, and I am not too sure what will suffice so I was hoping to get some help please.

I have an install of Cat5e and Cat6. In some places the cables are running through the floor with too tight bend radius. And in another place a bundle of wires was left hanging from the ceiling unsupported.

As well as data the network will be used with baluns for HD TV. What tester do I need to see if there is damage?

I can get the Testum for about £1000 and a second hand DSP400 for about £1700.

Thank you,
Simon.

Testers don't find damage.

Their sole purpose is to insure that a cable system meets some specification at the time of test. There are ways cables can be damaged that won't show up at test time but will deteriorate over time.

That said you should do a complete inspection of the cable system and correct all the physical flaws you can find. After that think about testing.

If this is a one off project it would be best to hire someone to do the testing since they should be more familiar with the equipment and results interpretation. If this is an extremely big job or you want to get in the business then economics buy favor buying a tester.

My preference at the prices you quote would be the Fluke. Be sure that the one you buy is supported and price a recalibration in your decision.

Thanks for that.

IS your preference for the Fluke because it does more /better tests than the testum, or because the Fluke is a Fluke?

I want to do the testing myself, as I am involved in this field. This is a good excuse to get a wicked piece of kit and learn something new :)

There are a couple of things you did not mention:

1. Are all the cables terminated at both ends?

2. The cables with too tight a bend radius that you mentioned,are you able to get some slack at the bends to make them less of a radius? If not,don't worry unless they do not pass testing.

3. You can test the cabling by purchasing any of the Level3 testers that are on the market,Fluke,Pentascanner,Aligent wirescope, but they are expensive. If I were you, I would get a local contractor to test them for you.

The testing will let you know if the cabling will work, but you will not be able to 'certify' the tests, nor will the contractor unless he or you have been to the classes to do so by the maker of the system components, such as Leviton, ICC, etc and the cable has to be compatiable with the produ cts used.

I would test the stuff first and then address any problems found ( that is what the contractor can do, if you so authorize).

4. This would also be a good time to do a 'floor plan' with the locations each of the cable ends ( IE: panel 1, port 1 to station 1 cable 1,etc )

Good Luck,

Has been in the cabling business for about twenty years and is now the Sr PM for a cabling company located in the Los Angeles area.
Also a General Class Amatuer Radio Operator.

1, no they are not
2, yes I can
3, ok, I think I need to understand what the differance is between a cable passing all its tests and being certified
4, Not that much of an amerture, got AutoCAD stuff all over the office ;)

I am only interested in buying the kit it wouold work out free by the time the testing has been done. That would then allow me to use it on other jobs and also be able to check the house again during the rest of the work.

I have found a DSP4000, uncalibrated I think, for 3k used.
And a new 4300 calibrated for 4k.

Good job we have such a strong pound atm :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back