Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lan cannot connect to a cable connexion, help!! 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteTornado

Technical User
Jul 24, 2002
CA
Hi,

I have a problem getting this Lan to go to the Internet now that there is a cable connexion available. This is a 4 computer Lan, 3 with Windows 98, one with Windows 2000 which acts as a server, but it is set up as workgroup. There is a Linksys router. A NW cable goes from the cable modem to the Wan of the router, and then one port of the router connected to a wall plug which goes to a hub where all other computers are connected to. I was unable to go to the Internet, however the computer can see each other on the network.

So, I plugged the cable modem straight to a PC and got the cable connexion alive. Then I put the router in between, I had some troubles at first, but I resetted the router long enough so as to clear earlier settings and I got the connexion alive, for that one computer.

Then, I moved the equipment to its proper place; I replugged the router and cable modem, I then connected one of the port of the router to the wall plug which goes to the Hub. I can see the network, but no internet connexion possible.

This is really odd as just a few minutes earlier, I had a DSL modem connected the exact same way and I was able to go to the Internet from all computers. So I know all my equipment is working, I know I have a live cable connexion, where am I missing that I cannot get the Internet connecting to the Lan?

Cheers!

WhiteTornado,

Sounds like you can see other computer but can't get the internet. I had the same problem. Here is what I did to get internet connection.

Go to start, settings, control panel, Internet option,
connection, lan setting button. Clear all checked settings in this window. Open browser select tools menu. Under Internet options click on connection tab, click never dial a connection.
Right click on Network Neighborhood properties. Select tcp/ip for your network adapter then properties. Click IP address tab select obtain an IP address automatically.
Click gateway tab. If any are installed highlight then remove. Click DNS tab disable DNS click OK. Make sure in control panel under network that you see your tcp/ip adaptor.

One thing I had to do was to remove any firewall, such as Zone Alarm, ect. When you go through all of these procedures, click on the Internet icon on your desktop and see if you are connected. If a box come up in your browser saying you are not connected and try again click on try again. Hopefully this will work for you. It did for me.

On a cable system, clone the MAC address of one of your computers (the one you tested with) to the router.

Turn off the router, and unplug (not the on/off switch) the cable modem for one full minute. Plug in the cable modem and let it stabilize. Turn on the router and let it stabilize. Turn on the PCs.

Also make sure your connection between the hub and router are correct. If using straight-through cabling, you must use an uplink port on either the hub or router (unless your hub auto-switches for this). Do the lights on the hub and router look correct?

The computers are set up as if they connect to a LAN. Always use the setting for I connect to the internet through a LAN setting and run the networking wizard. This works great in XP.

Then look up the default address for the Router. If it does not work set the Router to the default by pushing the reset button on the back. (Yes a reset button)

Access the Router through Internet Explorer and set up WAN settings with the info you usually use for settig up your computer for the Internet. Also get the NIC hardware address from one of your computers and put it in the router setup for Masquerading.

Here comes the tricky part. This is something they dont tell you. It is preferred with a Cable modem and a Router to put them on a separate high quality surge protector. This does one very important thing. One thing is you can turn off all your computers any time you want to work on them. The other thing is you can reboot your network devices. The cable modem may need to reboot to connect once you set the router up. I worked a couple of days cussing the stupid router before I accidently figured this out. There are times you may want to disconnect the router or the intenet. Having a second surge protector can be a good idea. They also make some surge protectors with Cable surge protectors built in for satelite systems. They also make in-line Cable surge protectors. Sometimes they sell them at radio shack. They are designed to absorb spikes where the Cable comes into the house or into a TV or other equipment.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Hi,
Well every one of these advices have helped me, I got the whole network running. I was in a hurry and ommitted to plug in the hub on the uplink port (!!!!!) I also hadn't resetted the router correctly, wrong sequence of actions. One of the computer still had the old DNS settings, so I changed that, there really cannot be anything checked-in in there I concurred.

Very cool data on the power surge, I addded this info to my trouble-shoot data base.

Double-cheer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back