Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LAN Cabling (Cat5,Cat6) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsatech

Programmer
Sep 5, 2013
ZA
Can anyone please confirm whether CAT5 and CAT6 cable can be glued using a hot glue gun. If not, why not, and what should be done?

As long as the cable is not damaged in any way, I think that method is OK.

....JIM....

I'd be tempted to use shielded as it has the extra protection for the conductors.

I would only use shielded category cable if it was necessary, because of the higher cost for the cable and the jack hardware needed for a proper installation. If you use shielded cable you need shielded jacks also, and to go all the way -- shielded patch cords too!

....JIM....

There is little reason to ever use shielded cat5 or cat6. The shield can introduce ground loops and can actually pick up interference. Setting up a proper shielded install is usually more trouble than it is worth.

I'm with you, wires. I was just thinking of a more robust cable for the hot glue. Thanks.

I suppose if you want a rugged jacket, then use the outdoor weatherized category rated cable. The jacket can withstand more abuse and UV, etc. I agree with wires also, shielded category cabling requires much more care and attention to make sure grounding and bonding practices are adhered. Otherwise, things could be worse if, the person does not understand what they are doing...

....JIM....

I am not clear where you plan to glue the cable, but ....

As for outside plant cable run inside, there are NEC rules about that (even in non-plenum spaces) that limit how far you can run it from the point of indoor/outdoor transition. If entirely indoors, you should check with the local inspection authority to see how strict they are on that. I know of several jurisdictions that are very strict on rules and will not allow any outside plant cable to be run from point-to-point indoors unless it is in rigid conduit all the way.

Also, for example, in my area this class of wiring must be run inside a fire rated wall cavity, hung from J-hooks, run through conduit, or be run on approved wire racking / bundling structures. These rules vary from place to place, but if your gluing method is to hold the wiring in a similar weight-bearing manner (as opposed to gluing cable to close off a cabinet penetration to vermin proof or dust proof it), you would do well to check with the inspection authority to see if what you plan is large enough in scope that they would flag it.

Just my 2 cents.

I get the idea from that comment, those jurisdictions don't know how to read or write the NEC section 800. They must be from the 18th century!

....JIM....

I would also like to know what the hot glue gun is for. The only use I could think of is for sealing the gaps between the connector and the cable for moisture resistance. I guess it would work, but the normal way would be to use heat shrink tubing with it's own adhesive, 3M™ Adhesive-Lined Tubing EPS300-3/4-Black-48"or silicone rubber self-fusing tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back