Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lan based e-mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillieLoMain

Technical User
May 30, 2001
US
The following has been dropped in my lap for resolution.

Lan has a win2k server with 10 workstations - there is broadband access in the location but the owner prefers to have most of the machines locked out of the internet.

The Win2k server is on the internet as are the owners machine and a few others. Most employees do not have internet access.

The problem - they want to give all in the office e-mail access without permitting internet access.

The only way I can think to do this is to let one of the machines act as an e-mail "server" to pull in all the mail from the internet and then let each user grab their e-mail from there.

It is unclear to me if this can be done without installing a true e-mail server - which is what I would like to avoid.

Suggestions, comments etc most welcome.

Thanx in advance

Installing a mail server for the local network is the way that this is usually done. Why do you want to avoid that?

For your mail server you basically have two choices.

1. A mail server that pulls mail from the ISP's mail server via POP3 and then places individual mails in users mail boxes.

2. An SMTP server where you would have an MX record for your domain pointing towards your mail server so mail would be delivered directly via SMTP.

Option 2 is always the best.

Chris.

Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

I know little or nothing about doing the mail server - so I wouldnt know where to start.

Not that it is out of my ability level - just something I have never had to do before.

you have any suggestions on software for the budget minded?

Thanx for the reply

If you are looking for something for the budget minded person, check out Pegasus Mail at here. I've used it before and it is fairly easy to use. You can use it for just the lan email and no outside access if you want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back