Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lan and dialup account with different smtp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

floormatt

Technical User
Dec 12, 2002
US
?I am trying to set a user up with email on a Lan account, and a dial-up account. The problem is that I have to use a different SMTP to check the mail on the dial-up. I set up two accounts 1 lan/1 dial. I set the dial up account to check for messages on the lan, and then dial-up when neccessary. It seemed to work fine on the lan untill today. It would not send mail through the dial up account. Does this sound like maybe a server problem with the dial up account.

Thanks for any input,
Matt

Just for clarification, you were not on the LAN when you used the dial-up settings (SMTP) correct? What error did you get?

Correct,
I set the same email account up twice. One for our lan, and another for dial up,traveling.
I have to use the dial up ISP's smtp so the user can send mail when not on our lan/traveling.
I cant remember the exact error, but it was along the lines of server error. I deleted the dial up account and the mail in the outbox sent fine.

Thanks

Without the error it's really hard to say. I'd guess the ISP was having SMTP problems.

are you doing it yourself or is it being relayed by phone?

what i would do is set both accounts up to not use a specific internet connection meaning "any available" and create a shortcut on his desktop to dail-out when needed. then set the outlook settings to not check for messages unless prompted to. so then he can select which account to "send/recv" for each time he opens outlook. but yes leaving the smtp servers as you have them would of course be the only way. "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

I have access to the LP. That makes sense, it would definitly be better than having to create another account for dial up every time he travels.

Mucho Aprecciation
matt

Wow, a kindered spirit.
We also have laptop users using Outlook Express on the LAN and through Dialup. We also have 2 accounts set up, 1 LAN/Office, 1 Dialup. We've trained the user and given the user written instructions on how to change accts while on the road:
Open Outlook Express
From the menu bar
Tools>Accounts
Click the Mail tab
Select the LAN/Office account
Click Properties
Click to clear the Include this account when receiving mail or synchronizing check box
Click Apply
Click OK
Select the Dialup account
Click Properties
Click the Include this account when receiving mail or synchronizing check box to put a check in the box
Click Apply
Click OK
Click Close
(Note: When returning to the office, the LAN/Office and Dialup accounts should be reversed)
Close Outlook Express
Connect using shortcut on desktop
Open Outlook Express
Send/Rec

This procedure has been working great.
Until...
One user did this:
Connected, did a Send/Rec with LAN acct syncd, got server error, checked the sync box for the dialup acct, did a send/rec, got server error, unchecked the sync box for the LAN acct, got server error.
Result: even though all the settings were correct, the send/rec only sends through the LAN acct and can't connect.

The only way we've found so far is to remove the LAN/Office account. It's a cumbersome work-around: We get an emergency call from the road to remove the LAN/Office acct, then we have to add a the LAN/Office acct as an emergency when the user gets back to the office. Does anyone have a better work-around or real solution involving the least amount of hassle for the end-user?
(Yes, it would be nice if the user would remeber not to send/rec using the LAN acct BEFORE changing the sync boxes, but...)

Thanks,
Box

What kind of server error? My first instinct is once the settings are correct is to run ipconfig /release on the machine and restart.

See if TCP/IP binds to the PPP adapter instead of the network adapter. But that is speculation without knowing the server error message.

joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

The error msg is:
The connection to the server has failed. Accout:'mail.company.com', Server:'mail.outgoing.net', Protocol:SMTP, Port 25, Secure(SSL):No, Socket Error:10060, Error Number 0x800CC0E

I tried the ipconfig /release_all and ipconfig /renew_all and it still wasn't happy. It's as if any Send/Rec done before being connected w/ the accounts synced properly corrupts the accounts. Even when I do a Send/Rece on the Dialup account only, it uses the default account, and it can't find our LAN ISP, hence the error msg.

I think this started after happening after one of the IE6 SP1 updates. For now, my solution is to remove OE from the Startup box, uncheck Send and receive messages at startup in OE, and to have the user Set as Default the 'current' account, i.e., Dialup when on the road and Office when on the LAN.

Thanks for your suggestions, I think I'll put this one to bed for now.
Night, night,
Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back