Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LAN & DSL separation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigi

Technical User
Jan 24, 2002
US
hello board:
here's my confusion.
I have 3 machines, 1 running W2K Server and the other 2 run W2KPro.
All 3 machines have 2 NICs each, 1 NIC of each machine connects independently by CAT5 cable directly to an ADSL Router w/ a static IP address given by my ISP which is SBC/PacBell. All machines connect to the internet w/o a "problem", they all can surf, check email, etc.
However, the 3 machines cannot talk to each other, so my question is how to setup the LAN to work and share files. My Taskbar shows 2 LAN connections on each machine, 1 for the DSL and the other for the LAN each one using its own NIC, both are showing connected as the status for each connection. The LAN for the 3 machines connects to a Linksys Switch w/ 8 ports (conections from 1 to 3) And there are no errors or bad connections shown by Hardware manager, all is go!
Since I have this kinda of setup, how to make this work?!? I dont want to/or maybe dont need to use DHCP or DNS (WINS or otherwise) I want to enable a local ip address for each machine on the local connections.
I have tried all the I know so far w/o success, all the help will be appreciated. I know this should be simple to finish up!
thx for the help!
August

let me get this strait. you have six cards total and one on each of the comps is connected to the router where the other three are used in a "token ring, peer-to-peer, bus, server based? are you using the win server box as a router?

is there a resson why your not useing your router to form you lan. and lastly, why do you have six cards.

answer those questions and it will be easyer to fix your prob. i have a stack of books that can help us.

note. i'm not sure but windows tends to grow in configurablity with more devices at it's desposal. i've never used 2 cards in one box before so i'm not sure if win will enable the opts to config local ip settings for each card. my guess is that it would. i have plenty of spare parts lying about. i'll attempt to duplicate your setup for your description and see what happens.

interesting situaton you gave us. this will be fun.

May Tesla Bless The.

I have never set a network up the way you describe. As there are no server functions evident from your post, I fail to see the advantage of using static IPs in your case. I would put the PAC Bell device in bridge mode, and use a router.

Nontheless, I would try this:

For the LAN NICs:

. Client for Microft Networking, File and Printer Sharing, and under TCP/IP properties:

. A static IP using a private address range; say 192-168.0.1 -- 192.168.0.x, subnet 255.255.255.0
. Under Advanced, WINS tab, enable Netbios over TCPIP

. I would use an LMHOST file on each machine to expedite discovery:
In particular, I would use the #PRE declerations

. You might find this Microsoft KB article usefull: Slow Computer Browsing from Multihomed Clients

prodigi - you can use the same NIC to access noth your LAN and your DSL.

You only need 1 NIC in each machine.

Hook each one into a port on the router, and you should be setup.

When you put 2 NICs into 1 PC, it's known as 'multihoming' - something which greatly increases the complexity of your setup.
[tt]
------ --------- -------------
|ISP |
--- | modem | --- | router |
------ --------- -------------

| | |
----- | ----- | -----
|PC1|
------ |PC2| -----|PC3|
----- ----- -----
[/tt]

Setup this way (assuming a switch is integrated into the router), all the PCs will be on the same LAN (given they're on the same IP subnet) and sharing the internet connection.

If there is another reason for using 2 NICs per machine, let us know because there may be an alternative...

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Manrth's config is missing one thing..Firewall..
If you want your system to me secure you will need to run a firewall. If you want you could run a firewall on each machine, but it is not necessary. in manarths drwaing change router to &quot;router & firewall&quot;.

I agree with Bobg1 - a firewall may be a good idea - however I was trying to work with what the equipment listed...

Besides, a router running NAT provides a degree of protection in itself (indeed a number of SoHo routers describe themselves as running a &quot;NAT firewall&quot; these days).

Disabling the &quot;remote administration&quot; on the router will also introduce a further measure of security.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back