Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Labelinig without mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmarin

IS-IT--Management
Mar 6, 2003
US
There is any way to label used or new tapes without mount ?

Hello,

it depends on what you mean by 'mount'.

If 'mount' is taking cartridge to put into a drive, the answer is no.
If 'mount' is taking cartridge to put into a drive, then reading the label and informing Networker about this operation (updating drive status), the answer is yes.

By default, Networker physically 'mounts' the tape in the drive before labelling, but don't update the drive status as 'mounted'.

Labelling is (re)writing a label on tape and writing a double EOT (End-Of-Tape) immediately after, thus preventing drive accessing after this 'line'.

Denis

As mentioned, the default is "labeling without mount" for a jukebox, and "labeling with mount" for a standalon tape drive.
Of course you can change that by setting/unsetting the appropriate checkboxes or using the correct command parameters.

Instructor.

I have Jukebox. What setting/unsetting or commands should I run to label without mount? I see that every time I label/relabel an used or new tape legato mount the tape into the drive, make a mark and eject the tape.

Thanks

I see that every time I label/relabel an used or new tape legato mount the tape into the drive, make a mark and eject the tape.
This is an expected and normal behaviour.
Have you problems when using tapes after relabelling ?

@jmarin

sorry but you obviously mixup the terms 'loading' and 'mounting':
- You can load all (known & unknown) tapes however
- You can only mount a loaded tape which exists in the media index

So loading is required before you can label (and mount) a tape. Of course without loading it, you will not be able to write it at all - not even the label.
Clear as mud?

If you want tape to stay into the drive after labelling it (to be written immediately), use the -m option when labelling, as it is used to keep the tape mounted.
But dismounting-unloading tape from drive is a normal behaviour after labelization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back