Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Labeling Tapes by command line

Status
Not open for further replies.

goomba77

Technical User
Dec 14, 2004
US
Is there a way to label tapes without loading the tapes by command line? Any help would be great. Thanks!

What do you mean by "without loading the tapes"? - As a label is a data set on the media, you must of course load it into a drive.

For a standalone drive use "nsrmm".
For a jukebox media, use "nsrjb".

I'm talking about making a scratch tape a part of the pool. I've seen messages in legato "labeling without mount". My problem is, sometimes there is a problem on our server where there are no tapes available for a pool. So what happens is that you have to watch the backup and once the tape gets full, label a new tape and continue with the backup. I would like to be able to add tapes to a pool while that backup is running so you don't have to worry about watching the backup and the tape filling.

OK, understood. Loading is not mounting. Of course you can label the media without mounting it. But why do you want to make things complicated?

For a jukebox, just set "Auto media management=on" and NetWorker will do the labeling for you if it is needed. And if you set the pool options "Recycle from other pools" and "Recycle to other pools" this will be done accross all pools for recyclable media as well. Isn't this what you want?

A word of warning about "Recylce from Other Pools" when Legato recycles from other pools, it doesnt change the tape label. If you are using any scripting or management of tapes using volume labels, Recycle from other pools can cause havoc

Basically, what happens is that I have 2 Legato servers that share scratch tapes. Unfortunately, and I'm sure many people have the same problem, my tape operators are not very good at keeping the scratch tapes separate from the live tapes. How would auto mgmt work in this case. This is a quick breakdown of my environment.

1 Networker server w/ 3 drives
5 Storage nodes all w/1 drives except 1 with 2 drives

1 Networker server w 1 drive

These all share the same library. My biggest problem is tape mgmt also because this library shares a TSM environment as well. Tapes are unloaded daily and sent offsite after 3 days. I have some scripts in place but I want to get this pretty much completely automated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back