Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Labeling software

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsmadhava

IS-IT--Management
Mar 30, 2003
US
Can any one suggest me a good labeling software available freely on internet ? I need this to label my wall plates and jack panels.

I use a standard handheld office labler and if I don't have that with me a nice Sharpie marker works.

You can you P-Touch unit. Not very expensive (40$ CAN). Good for everything !

Bootleg

MS Word and a good paper cutter, the kind that rolls across the paper, not the chopping kind can do a great job, if you have the wall plates that accept a paper label.

As to the comment about using a sharpie, real professional. The new 606-A standard requires all labeling to be machine printed, no more handmade labels.
If the project you were working on had specs requiring standards compliant installation, you would not be in compliance, which on a job I oversee would mean you wouldn't get paid till it was corrected.

Once again, lots of ways to do things on the cheap, we as professionals should concentrate on doing things that portray us in a professional light.

Doing things the right way has many rewards.

Richard S. Anderson, RCDD

For those of you who work with this a lot, is there any significant functional difference between using the wallplates that accept paper labels and using a labeling machine and label tape? I am wondering about things like durability, ease of maintenance over time, and such.

606A also requires a both ends of each cable to be labeled. I have been using a portable label tape printer, applying the label to the cable lengthwise, and wrapping it with clear adhesive tape to make the label more durable. Is there an easier/better way to do this that does not require expensive equipment?

I use this tool. It has a setting to make wire labels. For the outlets I got sheets of precut, self adhesive labels and set down with word until I got the spacing correct. Now I can print an entire sheet of labels for the outlets and also the jack panels in the equipment room.

I'm going to have to go look in the standards now, seems to me I remember some reference that adhesive labels were no longer compliant. Could have been a dream I guess.

Sharpie....damn good pen, please don't use it on a faceplate, we quit that .... 6 or 7 years ago I think.

We use a brady wire labeler, Brother Ptouch labelers, Impact wire lables that run off on a printer and we heat shrink them on the wire, and laser printer sheets of precut labels depending on the application.

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

i always carry a sharpie good for making notes inside the ksu , install date password (if not defualt) ect ect
I like to mark the phones we install with company name and date with a sharpie on the label (cuts down on warranty claims for phones customer bought from ebay :) )
great to mark blocks but I have taken to printing labels and placing them next to the block also

I will usually mark the cable with a sharpie along with the label in case the label gets pulled off

depending on the install sometimes we mark the cable witha sharpie when we pull it and label it when we termninate.

label a jack with a sharpie ? No way not in 10 years or so I bought my first p touch label machine in '91 and I just retired it

Daron,

You said you thought adhesive labels may be no longer compliant, but you also said you use a Ptouch labeler. Are the Ptouch labels not considered "adhesive" labels? Is that term usually only used in the context of the sticky paper labels you can buy in sheets from Avery and such?

I was told at a recent Panduit certification class that adhesive labels were no longer compliant, the label had to be protected by a plastic cover. I havent been able to find that in my 606A so I'm not sure where that came from. We use the P-touch to make the label that sticks on the paper under the plastic cover. Unless we are doing a bunch, in which case Desi has sheets of pre-perfed sheets of printer feed paper.

If we are stuck with faceplates that do not have the plastic cover, we obviously have to stick labels on. They can come off, get pulled off, etc. but I am unable to confirm that it is a standards requirement to have the label under protective plastic.

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

The labels I use are from Panduit and are self adhesive. I stick them to the paper strip that comes with the faceplate and put them under plastic. As for jack panels there isn't a place to put a nonstick label on the panels from Panduit that I last bought. Maybe they are making something new now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back