Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

label control not updating during 'busy' activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

g33man

Programmer
Dec 22, 2006
CA

I've got a program which populates then sorts a Treeview control on my form (~90K nodes). It is a very busy recursion algorithm which takes up to 30 seconds to complete, during which time my Label control stops refreshing. The label control is updated every 500ms by a Timer, providing progress status to the user.
This seems to be a common issue, but I haven't found the right fix for my situation. I tried using a backgroundWorker to move the work off the UI thread, but since this work is updating the Treeview control on the main form, I get the error about trying to update a control started by a different thread. I've tried putting the classic Label.Refresh and Me.Refresh in my Timer_Tick sub, but no joy there also. Any suggestions is welcome.

Try using Application.DoEvents immediately after updating the label.

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back