Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Label advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

toyt78

Technical User
Apr 5, 2005
US
I have 4 history sections on my page and having trouble on what to label them. I need advise on what to call the labels for my History sections?
I am currently using History Archive One for my first section and History Achive Two for my second section and so on. Please advise because I dont really like what I am labeling them and hoping I can get suggestions.

Code:
History/Background Info

History Archive One:
blah blah etc....history and more....

History Archive Two:
blah blah etc......alot of history etc...

History Archive Three:
blah blah etc......more history here etc...

History Archive Four:
blah etc......more data etc..

Maybe take a timeline approach... for example if your company has been around since the 1920s you could label them something like:

1923 - 1949
1950 - 1974
1975 - 1999
2000 - Today

[sub]Never be afraid to share your dreams with the world.
There's nothing the world loves more than the taste of really sweet dreams.
[/sub]

good option described above, but instead asking here you must ask the visitors of the archive how they would like it arranged.

grouped by year or by subject or some other characteristic.

consider what people are searching for. if they always want a total view on a certain subject then they would have to search in 4 files if it's arranged by year. but if they search for info in a certain year then they must search through all the subjects.

perhaps a better option to make a search query and put the archives in a database. then it doesn't matter how it's arranged since you can show them depending on what they want

In short, distribute your information logically between the archives, then label the archives to reflect their content. If you want more specific advice, you'll need to provide us with more specific information.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Its not marked by date. It is archived by latest entry.
The latest entry is: History Archive One
The the entry before that was: History Archive Two
and so on...

Any suggestions on better labels?

toyt78, you have been given suggestions but you have seemingly not acted on them. What is wrong with dwarfthrower's suggestion? Basically, Chris said it best with distribute your information logically between the archives. Apart from that, we cannot really tell you how to label 4 sections of information we know nothing about. How about:

History of man.
History of animals.
History of plants.
History of rock.

Without knowing more about what information you are organizing and how, we can only dish out meaningless labels like this.

The information is based on System status and not really tied in category to any type and just tied to latest random word entries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back