Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lab Simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronster

Technical User
Apr 18, 2001
GB
Rather than spending money on routers/switches does anyone know of good simulation software that can do the job?

I know that a simulation will never be a replacement for the hands-on experience gained using actual equipment, but even if I do buy some kit I might want a good simulator on my laptop for practice whilst I'm working away from home.

Thanks in anticipation.

Ronster

Science is the rehab of the masses.

Ronster,

The Sybex CCNA Study Guide by Todd L. comes with one that has been reported here in the past to be "pretty good" :)

I would say that Boson has the best sim for your money -

They also have a FREE demo so you can try before you buy!

I have used this in the past and it was always been a top notch product.

You can also check eBay - but watch out for some "older" sims that are being "dumped" on eBay.

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

The simulator is only good enough for the the beginner. As you become aware of the simulator's limitations, you will want either the real thing or the emulator. You really don't want to learn the erroneus behaviour of the simulator as a subtitute for the real thing. Your time is important and I would't recommend sticking with Boson for too long.

fresh CCNA

I would also agree that buying some real Cisco kit is a good investment as ultimately you're trying to get familiarity with the actual routers and switches that you're going to expect somebody to pay you a lot of money to be competent working with.

Also Dynamips is worth a look.....

Ronster,

I agree 100% with what NettableWalker and darkhut said about a real lab with REAL Cisco routers and switches - sometimes real routers/switches do some crazy things just like your computer that can not be simulated on a sim !

Also, darkhut is correct that with a sim if it does something wrong AND you learn it that way - you not be a happy camper :-(

I had a student who ran a large IT department and he had the CCNA's who applied for a job once have to break the password on a Cisco router - only 2 out of 5 CCNA's who applied could do it and one guy could not pick the router from a table of about 10 different Cisco devices - hubs, switches, firewall, IDS and 1 2611 router :) all his training was out of a book and on a sim!

Setting up an end-to-end home lab/network with routers, switches and some old PCs is the best training :)

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Thanks for the input guys.

I have borrowed a switch from a friend and he's gave me 4 25xx routers to keep:). So I'm well on my way to having my own lab now.

Ronster

Science is the rehab of the masses.

Ronster,

I have a 2924 XL EN switch for $75 firm, if you are interested (all ports working)

Bill

dynamips/dynagen is the best router emulator (not simulator), it runs reals IOS. It is free. Then I save my money for real switches. Dynamips can connect to your NIC, so you can connect to the switch from the virtual router. I have a quad port NIC that connects 4 virtual routers to a switch, and they interact very well. pretty cool and not that hard to do.

download:

good forum:

-B

Of course there IS the issue of acquiring IOS's...lol

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back