Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

L700 thruput

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuka

Technical User
Jul 6, 2001
US
What should I expect the throughput rate for a L700
on a Sun V880 with the following configuration.

L700 with IBM Ultrium LTO drive (fibre)
V880 with fibre interface port for each drive.
Netbackup Version 4.5
Solaris 8

If anyone has a similiar setup I would appreciate your opinion.

Also what is a good tool on Solaris to measure the I/O thruput?

Thanks

Its not the library that should effect performance, it the tape drive and technology.

Since your drives are Fibre connected, you shouldn't have any connection bottlenecks.

The LTO Gen1 drives run at 16mb/sec which is about 56GB per hour.

The LTO Gen2 drives run at 32mb/sec which is about 108GB per hour.

The V880 is a powerful box, as long as your are not pushing too many drives, that box should not be a bottleneck.

Hope this helps.

The previous mail is an excellent answer to your question, I will only add "where does your data reside?" "How quickly can that source supply the data?"
If the answers are less than the total speed of all the drives (IBM Gen 1 drives need upto 40MB/Sec to stream, Gen 2 upto 70MB/Sec), then you need to have a fast RAID system on seperate HBAs with zoning to keep disk & tape traffic seperate......!
Anything less is criminal to the media and will bite you eventually in the B******E!! As the old English saying goes" You pays your money and you makes your choice!" (bad grammar & spelling intentional!) The system will get your money in the end, one way or another, but the wrong way will also affect data integrity too......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back