Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

L3 Switching question

Status
Not open for further replies.

stompin

Technical User
Jun 28, 2004
GB
OK - very new to L3 switches. I need to know if a L3 switch provides the same functionality as a router?. I have four SN's inside which need routing between, and I need an extra E0 port connecting to my FW. Can I get a L3 switch and assign SN's to each port.

I have heard L3 switches are tailored towards VLAN's - is this the case or can I go for the above?

stompin

Hi, A layer 3 switch will allow you at add a logical interface onto a vlan and allow you to route between vlans.

Lee.

LEEroy
MCNE6,CCNA2,CWNA, Project+

..but not route between subnets?

stompin

Yup, it will allow you to route between VLANS on the local switch and use Routes in the routing table to route else where...

LEEroy

Ok so I can setup a DSL router which goes into a FW which connects to one port on my L3 switch [one SN] and then route onto 3 SN's on the L3 switch. NO VLAN's just 3 SN's?

Yup. to clarify SN=Subnet?

LEEroy

yep - Ok so I don't need an expensive router with an even more expensive module to sort 4 E0 ports, I just need to go get a nice 12 Port L3 switch and jobs a good-un?

Yup, Im a little confused why you have 3 Subnets and only using a 12 port Device??? Cant you just have one flat subnet for upto 12 devices???

There is an alternative, L3 devices are much more expensive than L2 devices, If your firewall supports 802.1q trunking, you could purchase a L2 Switch, create 3 Subnets/vlans and trunk a switch port using 802.1q to your firewall.

LEEroy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back