Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

L3 interface on 6509? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpast

MIS
Sep 3, 2002
US
Basic question for many, I’m sure… I’m new to the 6509 and am trying to set up a simple P2P L3 link between the 6509 (Sup1A, MSFC2 -- core) and a 3750 (DL). The 6509 supervisor has CatOS -- MSFC has IOS.

I’m used to the simple IOS:
int fa0/10
no switchport
ip address 1.1.1.1. ....

But how do you do that in CatOS? (The MSFC IOS doesn’t allow anything but vlan SVIs).

As I said, basic question for many I’m sure. But many thanks to anyone who can give me a clue..

You can't when using Hybrid software. All Layer-3 interfaces must be SVI's. You must first create the Layer-2 VLAN under CatOS and assign an Ethernet port to the VLAN, then from the MSFC create the equivilent VLAN SVI interface and assign an IP address etc to it.

HTH

Andy

Ugh.. was afraid of that. One more question, if I can impose again...
Assuming the supervisor can be upgraded to all-IOS, any opinions on the ease - or lack thereof -- of upgrading?

Thanks much for your help.

Oh, one more thing... also, can the 3750 still be configured as a L3 port, or does it need to be a L2 port also?

IOS upgrade to native will probably take at least 45 minutes and you have to follow the instructions explicitly or you can really hose yourself up . Why do you feel you have to change ? It not hard to create it as the previous poster said . As to your 2nd question yes you can have the port as a routed port or a switchport. You can also create layer3 SVI's on the 3750 and just make your ports a switchport in the particular vlan. It 's not hard config hybrid.

layer 2
set vlan XX
set vlan XX mod/port

msfc
interface vlan XX (XX matches the vlan you created at layer2)
no shut

THATS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry forgot one thing on the msfc

interface vlan XX
ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx <mask>
no shut

Always helps to have an ip address :)

Its not a major issue, I know. But I’m going to have dozens of these SVIs on the 6509s as I move the ‘real’ vlans off to a DL. My first choice was to use a ‘switched core’ design, where I’d have only a couple of new vlans on the Cores, load balancing w/ the DL. But that design was rejected for no good reason…not important … this way should be fine too I guess – lots of vlan#s to assign, but NBD, I suppose.

Thanks very much for your input.

The conversion to IOS from Hybrid is pretty easy. What Supervisor and MSFC do you have (Sup1A, Sup2, Sup720, MSFC, MSFC2 etc). There is a conversion tool on CCO for the configuration but I have found it easier to copy the Hybrid configs to a PC and build them from scratch.

It shouldn't take more than 30-minutes to do the actual conversion of the software. If you pre-build the configuration this will add on another couple of minutes as you cut & paste it in.

HTH

Andy

You need to ensure you have enough memeory available for your upgrade too, we had to upgrade to 24 mb of flash and 128 Mb DRAM on our Sup1A - MSFC2's.

Also, Andy, have you the URL for the conversion tool, I cant find it.

Thanks

The only reason some people are still alive, is simply because it's illegal to kill them!! ;0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back