Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

L180 Library drives not seen on Windows 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrixmodz

IS-IT--Management
Jul 9, 2008
US
Hello all!

My situation is as follows:
Got a L180 for free from a friend, but of course did not get any documentation or help in setting it up. I have a Windows 2003 Server running Symantec Veritas Backup Exec 11d.

Physical Setup is as follows:
SCSI cable running from Server to Library Control connection in back. SCSI cable running from Server to 1 of 4 Drives in L180(DLT7000) Terminated properly.

Library Config:
firmware version: 2.30.00
SCSI IDs are NOT in conflict

Problem:
Windows does not even recognize that a Drive is hooked up. It sees the Library fine but not the drive. SCSI card is good, drive is good, cable is good.
When booting the SCSI BIOS for the library card is installed and it sees the library in the boot scan. The drive card does not see the drive though during boot up and returns a "Host Configuration Error -- SCSI BIOS NOT INSTALLED " error.
Cards are the same model: Adaptec AHA- 2940U2W - Ultra2 SCSI

I was under the impression that the BIOS does not need to be installed unless i would be booting from the drive. I will NOT be booting from the drive.

Sorry if this is a real simple fix, i'm new to all this! Thanks in Advance

~Steve

What kind of drives are you running? Did they come with the library? Do they have firmware to support the library? Do you have the right HBA (lvd/se vs Diff)? Does the Library see the drives?

Andy

Hi Andy,

I'm running Quant DLT7000s. They came with the library already set up, the library says they are code version 101. I'm assuming i have it set up with SE because that what the card supports, though the library configuration menu is saying the SCSI/F is set to HVD. The library sees all the drives.

The library can be configured for either SE or HVD. I wouldn't assume anything about the drives. You should pull one out and look at the label on the top of the drive, it should tell you. If it doesn't say, you can look it up by PN. You can have a SE library and HVD drives running off of different HBA's

Andy

Hi Steve,
make sure the drive SCSI ID's are set in the library menu. The library provides SCSI ID for each drive. If your drives are HVD, be sure to use HVD terminators.

As I remember the L180 it comes with HVD SCSI interface and/or FC interface.
At least that is what I have been using on L180 libraries in the past.

Have never used DLT7000 in an L180, but you could try to hook up each drive alone to the server and see if you will be able to see the drives from Windows.

I wouldn't say I am an expert on SCSI tapes since all the shops I have been in for many years have only been using FC tape drives.

In general the L180 is a very easy and stable tapelibrary to handle.

/johnny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back