Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

L180 Library Capacity Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsauls

IS-IT--Management
Feb 12, 2009
US
Greetings, first time posting... I really appreciate this web site. My co-worker and I just recently noticed a discrepancy in our L180 in regards to the number of tapes recognized by the robot and the actual number of tapes in the robot. Our L180 is in a remote location therefore it is rare that we physically interact with the robot.

While replacing our media server and replacing tapes we noticed that the L180 is configured for 84 tapes, but we have 140 tapes and normal slots in the robot. This is not a parameter that can be changed with the front screen that I could find. After reading it seems that this is configured upon start up, and possibly could be a firmware issue. My employer has had this library for years and it has been configured incorrectly since they started using it, so I believe that whoever installed the machine configured it as an 84 tape capacity library.

I have searched through this website and the internet and have come up empty-handed.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
John

This is pretty simple. On the floor of the L180, behind the column the hand rides on, there is a hardstop. There are also two empty holes to the right of the hardstop. Remove the hardstop with a flat head screw driver, and move it over. The middle hole gives you a 140 capacity and the third hole gives you 174, (six in the cartridge access port gives you 180). Now, most of the L180s are missing the very last magazine under the cart access port. Without this, you cannot go to the full 174. The magazines are readily available.

Andy

Oh yea, when you power the L180 back on, it will know that you've moved the hardstop and it will automatically adjust to the higher capacity.

Excellent, thanks for the quick and concise reply... I will give this a try today!

The middle hole is for the 140 tapes and the last hole is for the full capacity of 180. The only place I know it talks about the Theate stops is in the instructions for the field upgrade kit that came with the slots and how to put them in.

You're instructions worked Andy, robot recognized all 140 cells/tapes and Netbackup assigned them all. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back