Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Kyocera Printer with Metaframe XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

HomerJ

IS-IT--Management
Feb 4, 2002
DE
Hi.

Does anybody know if kyocera printers works with metaframe?
Until now we worked with hp printers and we need for every printer special drivers for metaframe.

Thanks for help

I have successfully got Kyocera, LexMark and Canon printers to work with Terminal Services (remember, MetaFrame depends on the underlying O/S).

Ensure you get a printer that is on the T/S HCL (Hardware Compatibility List) on Microsoft's site.

If this is not practical (and believe me, I know that most Citrix Admins don't find it practical to go and hunt for a compatible printer - usually you just get one dumped on you and are expected to get the (expletive of your choice) thing working!), and your printer is not on the HCL, then you should have success mapping it to an older model using the wtsuprn.inf file. Here you need to be a bit crafty, and find out what the predecessors to your current printer were. Important note, if you are using MF XP FR1, then editing the wtsuprn.inf file will do you absolutely no good whatsoever, as the Printer mapping feature in the CMC will just overwrite it. Use that instead ;-)

Alternatively, the Citrix Universal Printer Driver that comes with MetaFrame XP FR1 seems to work 90% of the time for me. Can't be any more generous than 90%, however.

Hope this helps CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks Citrix Engineer.
We will decide if we change to kyocera printers.

I had just another problem. On our Win2k terminalservers with metaframe xp i can't change the filetypes. I want to open powerpoint files with a freeware powerpointviewer, but the files are related to microsoft powerpoint 2000. Now as admin i can't change this relation.
Where can be there a right which prohibit this ?

Thanks for any ideas

Hello,
Set the following Registry-Key :
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer]
"NoFileAssociate"=dword:00000000

Then you can do the Change.
After that set back to "NoFileAssociate"=dword:00000001

Dont forget to back up your registry before. Changing the registry can render your system unusable............

HTH
Werner Kraibuehler

Thanks for this. But why can't i change the file associations as administrator ? Only on a metaframe server i can't change it, on a normal win2k server i can change this things.

Look into Microsoft Technet Article Q257592.
It is switched off when Terminal Server is switched to Application Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back