Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

KX-TDE600 software questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstjohn

Technical User
Mar 5, 2003
US
I am learning the KX-TDE as I go, and have a few questions re the software. First, I want to make sure that I can't accidentally do something that's going to leave me with an unworkable system. I believe that if I have a backup of all of the files on the SD card, then by copying all of those file back to the SD card I can get my system back to its original state at any time. Is that correct?

Are the license and activation files linked to the physical SD card, the EMPR board, or both? In other words if I take the SD card from system A and plug it into the EMPR card on system B, will it be operational, or are some of the files tied to a specific EMPR card? If I copied all of the files to a different SD card (say the SD card fails) would that card work (in the same system), or are some of the files linked to the specific serial number of the SD card?

is DKEYFR the only file (other than license files) that is tied to that specific system?

My immediate problem is that I have 2 KX-TDE600 systems, and one of them has firmware that's pretty new, (apparently newer than 6.0.1.1) and isn't compatible with my copy of Maintenance Console (7.4.1.0), so I can't connect to it. So, I either need to find a newer version of Maintenance Console or downgrade the firmware on that system to a version that I can connect to.

I'm thinking that I could downgrade the newer system by copying the files from the SD card of the older system to the SD card of the newer system (program files only, not license or activation files). I would leave LICxx files and DKEYFR intact. Would that work?

Is there a document that lists the differences between the various E600 firmware versions? I don't want to go the downgrade route if there are useful features in the newer firmware.

Probably enough questions for one post. Any help very much appreciated.

I do not know a lot of Panasonic but I will give it a shot:
I believe that if I have a backup of all of the files on the SD card, then by copying all of those file back to the SD card I can get my system back to its original state at any time. Is that correct? YES

Are the license and activation files linked to the physical SD card, the EMPR board, or both? In other words if I take the SD card from system A and plug it into the EMPR card on system B, will it be operational, or are some of the files tied to a specific EMPR card? If I copied all of the files to a different SD card (say the SD card fails) would that card work (in the same system), or are some of the files linked to the specific serial number of the SD card? IT IS THE HARDWARE WHICH IS USED FOR LICENSING

is DKEYFR the only file (other than license files) that is tied to that specific system? DONT KNOW

My immediate problem is that I have 2 KX-TDE600 systems, and one of them has firmware that's pretty new, (apparently newer than 6.0.1.1) and isn't compatible with my copy of Maintenance Console (7.4.1.0), so I can't connect to it. So, I either need to find a newer version of Maintenance Console or downgrade the firmware on that system to a version that I can connect to. [link ftp://bo.xoco.ru/pub/Panasonic/Mini_ATS_kx-tda/softadmin/UPCMCv7.7.1.0_R2.exe.zip]HERE IS 7.7.1.0_R2[/url]

I'm thinking that I could downgrade the newer system by copying the files from the SD card of the older system to the SD card of the newer system (program files only, not license or activation files). I would leave LICxx files and DKEYFR intact. Would that work? DON'T KNOW

Is there a document that lists the differences between the various E600 firmware versions? I don't want to go the downgrade route if there are useful features in the newer firmware. DON'T KNOW

Thanks for the software link intrigrant :)

-----------------------------------
atcom_logo_small.jpg

Calgary Telephone Systems, Avaya LG Asterisk (FreePBX) VOIP & TDM

Really? I am not solitair and working on different systems/technologies keeps the work attractive and yes, in many ways I like Avaya more BUT there is a price for it and many customers can't afford it or they just don't need all the features and then a Panasonic is a good and solid option.

Thank you for both of those links, very much appreciated. I did a lot of searching with no luck. Now I'm kind of anxious to access that system, it has 22 license files on the SD card and I'm curious to see what they are.

Both f these maintenance console versions are asking for a 2-letter model suffix code. Not sure what I should select for US. None is not an option.

Also I get a "Program is not installed correctly" error when I try to connect. I can connect using "PBX Web Manager" but that only allows manager-level access. Is this a region issue?

Yes, that error is because the copy of the software you're trying to use is a pirated non-US version. Here in the states, legitimate copies of that software are only available to certified dealers. And you'd better have one on stand-by before you attempt what you're describing...it could very well bring both systems completely down.

Attempting to "downgrade" a system's firmware so it will be compatible with some outdated version of MC is a ridiculous suggestion and will cause a lot of problems if you attempt to do so. As an example, after changing a system's firmware it has to be re-registered with Panasonic (this REQUIRES a certified tech). Before re-registration, the system will not function.

I can't understand why you'd go to all this trouble presumably to avoid having to call a tech. If you want to administer the system yourself and feel the need to mess with the SD files, then just get certified on it so you have access to legit copies of MC and everything else you need.

It is definetaly not pirated, this comes from a legitime source. But it could be a regional issue I don't know, for me it works just fine.
When installing the software make sure you select the right region and country.

intrigant, if you are not certified on TDE and did not get the software direct from Panasonic, I don't see how it can be a legitimate copy...
Regardless, I'm curious as to where you actually did obtain it...as I've noticed several other end-users on different forums describing the exact same issue as our O/P is having with software downloaded from link you provided.
I've never had this problem with any software I've gotten direct from Panasonic...

Fine for you and I am certified and the software runs fine on my machine and that ends here for me. period.

you can't learn as you go and be certified so it is the end for you!!

@CWC3:

If it's too simple, then where's the challenge...

Can you (or anyone, I have one answer on this but want to be 100% sure), tell me if there's anything that I can do, accidentally or otherwise, that can't be undone by restoring the SD card from a backup? Am I right in my thinking that everything's stored on the SD card (not on the EMPR card), and loaded at startup?

Basically, if there is something fatal that I can do, I'd like to know so I can avoid doing it.

Is the activation file keyed to a specific EMPR card, to a specific SD card, or both?

For example, if I have a backup EMPR card, and the main EMPR card fails, can I replace the EMPR card and move the SD card over from the failed card, and be up and running? (I'm guessing NO).

If the SD card fails, can I loads the files from the back up another SD card and use it?

Does Panasonic charge for firmware updates? (I know they're not going to give them to me if I'm not certified, just curious.)

Attempting to change the firmware will prove to be a fatal task in itself.
It will bring your system completely down not to mention wipe out all your programming.
any time you change versions, the system has to be re-registered. There is no "hack" or other way around this.
Until it has been re-registered, the system will not function. You need a dealer and tech ID to register a system.
I wish you would just trust me on this.

And if you're thinking you want to try it anyway and use your SD "backup" when it doesn't work
Remember that you have to backup the SD using MC (just dragging/dropping will corrupt the files)
The backup file generated by MC is specific to that version of MC
Since you've got about 4 different versions between cabinets and software...you'll be screwed
And you cannot "clone" the system SD onto a generic one...I've tried and it doesn't work

I can certainly appreciate you trying to increase your knowledge about this equipment
but you have to draw the line somewhere
When you crash your system and can't make any calls -- how much business is your co. going to lose ??
It's really time to call your dealer...

Can anyone tell me the differences between KX-TDE600 version 3 and version 6 firmware?

look all the way on the last page's of the rev 6 install or user manual it tells you what changes have been made up to date.....

The latest installation manual I can find is for version 3.

sounds like a personal problem you indicated that you were a certified dealer if so you would be able to picl up the phone and call your areas sales rep!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back