Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

KX-TD232 bad ports...

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterpbx

Technical User
Aug 6, 2003
US
Hello,

Anyone ever have bad ports on this system? Just today I responded to three phones (126, 127, 128) that were acting up. You know that sound when you plug a phone into this system, well essentially it was that repeating every 2 seconds or so. The display would never come up and nothing worked. Moved the phones to other ports as a temp fix......

Is there a card I can replace that will fix these ports?
Does anyone have any links to technial data on these systems? I've downloaded some of the manuals from the links in this fourm but haven't seen anything that really goes over hardward, card types, etc.

Thanks everyone.

have you tried to put a single line phone on those ports ?

I have a kxtd 1232 that lost quite a few ports due to lightning and the odd thing is all the ports work fine with a single line phone just no system phone

its like the digital pair is being blown
Im wondering if it could be a internal fuse .

I haven't tried an analog phone. I don't have a panasonic model, but perhaps any analog phone will work...??

Thanks for the tip - I'll see if I can at least recycle the ports.

any phone that will work on a POTS line will work on the first pair on the panasonic digital system

the digital phones require the second pair only

looking in to it further todaay I was told that the digital pair is sensitive to voltage surges and easily damaged but the analog pair is fairly robust

the anolog (single line device) can do almost everything a digital feature phone can do you just need to use feature codes

I went thru the manual and made a list of the more common features and we printed them out and placed them next to the analog phones.

Hey MisterPBX, did you try disconnecting the building's wiring from the ports, taking a known working phone and plugging it in at the backboard? The symptoms you are describing are consistant with a short between the first and second pairs. Of course, the short could exist inside the phone system, but it's worth a try.

Mrpeabody, I did try disconnecting the building's wiring first. I figured it was wet pairs between buildings so I brought a working phone and directly connected it... still no luck.

I haven't had the opportunity to try an analog phone yet, but I will as soon as I'm back.

Here's a follow up question for you guru's: I have a dual cabinet system with 64 ports. Each cabinent has 2 8ext expansion cards on them. Currently I have about 60 digital sets working. Would my total of 4 8ext expansion cards only account for the last 32 ports? In other words, because this issue is on ports 126, 127, and 128, is there a physical piece of hardware I can replace or are the first 32 ports internal?

Thanks!

I beleive you can just replace the 8 ext module becouse the first 16 ports are internall the 2nd 16 external the next 16 internall and last 16 externall

Like I said I have the same problem and I am going to try that next week I'll let you know what happens

If thats the case then it would be a good idea to have everything going out of the building on one of the expansion modules (cheaper to replace)

you didnt mention going between buildings in your first post do you have good primary and secondary lightning protection ?

I have carbon block protection on all wiring leaving my building. What would be good secondary protection?

Should I try these - on the analog and digital extension lines going to other buildings? Should I use the 30 volt version and will that allow analog phones to ring? Or should it be 30 volt for digital extensions and 130 volt for analog.

Would something like this - be appropriate to put on my CO lines, between my KX-TD1232 and the phone company's network interfaces?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

we use the panamax to In fact I have some of the panamax digital staion port protectors Im going to be listing on ebay in a week or two

I'll post a link here whn I do

Silly thing. But have you tried cycling the power on the switch.
I find the KXTD can sit in a building for years without any problems. Dead ports do happen but I have not seen it in my term using these systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back