Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Kx-TD 308/PT-7230 - can't get parallel phone to ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

scooterman2

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2004
US
I've been trying to troubleshoot this issue for some time and thought I'd try posting this problem again. I am trying to run a standard cordless phone off a T7230. The phone works but it won't ring. I've turned on and off the parallel (391) but it still won't ring. Any ideas?

hi scooterman2

i need to know what you have tested...

1. when does it not ring ?? ..internal or external or both
2. have you tried a differnt slt on the ext..
3. have you confirmed the xdp is switched on by ringing a display phone and checking the ext no:??...

so question 1...when you ring the xdp../extention from a display phone and press ans on the portable does this answer the call
..............internal calls.............
yes = ...xdp set ok....
if the answer is yes:... then the problem is with either the phone or the ringing voltage.
test the portable on a direct line (ie remove from the system.)
if this is not at fault then you will need to put a capasator( CAP ) across the 2 legs inside your wall mounted rj11 box. i am not sure of the voltage but we some times have to use them in the uk & ireland.someone here will give you the voltage or your supplier will have them in stock..
if the answer is no:... xdp not set properly you should ring a display phone and confirm the ext no: you need the xdp set on.

if your problem only accures on outside calls then you will need to set the -2 section of the ext to ring in programming (day in co )(ie)if master jack = ext 107... then on programing (day in co )select 07 & press next(sp phone )display should say -2 and set this to ring on all lines required ...

hope this helps

rivet

Rivet,

Thanks for responding. I believe that the issue is the ringer voltage. Before I go down that route I just want to double check to make sure it is not something else. I called the main ext (the one for the PT from which the portable phone is connected (it doesn't have a seperate ext) and it works when I hit ans.

Thus, it suggests that the voltage is the problem. I don't follow your reference to a CAP. Can you please be a bit more descriptive. Is it easy to increase the voltage?

Thanks,

scooterman

Hi Scooterman2
I think the ref to a CAP is where if you are using a 3 wire connection to your phone and it expects to get ringing on pin (3)4 of a master block.
Suggest you try the phone on a telco incoming line first then you know if it is ok or not you could put a resister(s) in parrallel to reduce the voltage till the phone stops ringing now you know the mimimum voltage you need to make it work. Rivert says put a Standard phone onto the rj11 and see if it rings.
Now check the voltage with an Analog multimeter on AC should be not less than 20-30vac if you have to use a digital look for the peak voltage that you get it will give you some idea of the voltage. Compare this to what you had from the Telco line. it will be much higher from them.
Cheers Brian

Cheers Brian
To see is to know To Know is to see

Brian,

Thanks for detailed response. Looks like I'm now in over my head as I don't know how to do most of what you suggested. Know of any good techs in the NY area?

Best,

Scott

were are you in ny I am on the boarder of ny and ma?

hey did you not determine that you had a bum 308
months ago?

cwc3 - I'm the NYC area. I never concluded absolutely that the 308 was bum and decided over the holidaty to try one last time to fix it; I think it must be related to low voltage on the ringer as even when I connect a ST directly to the port it won't ring but if I bypass the 308 altogether the phone rings fine. Oh well. Time to just bypass the system and come up with a more simple solution.

do you have a web page I could pull your phonenumber off
off and ring you?

just to clear up my ref to the capasator( CAP )

in ireland the minumim voltage required to ring a slt phone is 25v
now ...when we are installing a english slt phone on our system the mimumin voltage these phones need to ring is 35v sometimes the system voltage is not enough to to get the english phones to ring (distance from system and such)
so what we do is put a capasator( CAP ) acros the 2 legs 30v capasator( CAP ) this takes in and stores voltage which insures the phone has at least 30v to ring with
it is placed at the socket on the phone side across the the pair of wires you use to connect the slt to the system ie ( red green )not on the termination block at the system
we also have to do this with every loud bell ringer (LBR)that we put on any panasonic system here....

hope this helps

ours
= 45-49v
the only time we see voltage like that is on a BRI or PRI line
=90-99v

peter

riv this guy needs to put a volt meter across the
xdp of that jack like i suggested 3 months ago
and he'd know that his ring generator circuit is shot!!

yep good chance

it should be easy enough to get repaired but it would have to come out or he could get someone in to give a final decision 3 month is pushing it a bit now

cwc3,

I don't have a site from which you can pull my number. Can I call you? I'm happy to email or PM you through another venue.

Thanks for helping me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back