Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

KVM Switches 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2002
GB
Hi all

Hope someone can help. I purchased a Belkin KVM switch so that i can save space in my room and control more than 2 machines. At the moment i have two machines and when booting them the mouse on both work but the keyboard on the one that i boot last doesn't work. I phoned Belkin support and they said that the problem was fighting grounding signals between the two PS2 keyboard connectors. From there they told me to take out the grounding pins on the keyboard PS2 connectors which i did but didn't work. They then sent me a better model thinking that there was someting wrong with the KVM switch, but this occured again with the newer model, so they sent me the best 4 port KVM switch they had which is used in server room environments and lone behold it' happened again which makes me think that it has something to do with my machine. The machine i think is at fault is a fairly old P2 machine so i'm thinking some type of incompatibilty with the switch. I've updated the bios on the machine so if anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated. I have tested the switch at work and it's worked perfectly. I'm about to pull my hair out as this has been on going for a while now.

Thanks

Hello Kwrankmore,
Have you tried another ps2 cable from the switch to the problem pc?

Try a different keyboard?

Shouldn't be an issue with the machine, unless the keyboard PS/2 port has gone - which can happen.

PS/2 is PS/2, so should be no backwards compatibility issues. I run 2x Pentium 200, 1x Pentium 233 and a dual PPro 200 off a Belkin Omni View Pro KVM with no issues. I've even had an old Sparc box on it with some success...

Hope this helps CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

I had a similar problem with a faulty mouse. Try replacing your keyboard - that would be a cheap easy start.

Hi guys

Thanks for your help. In all honesty i've never thought of changing the keyboard. Silly me! "mainegeek" yes i have as they sent me brand new cables. This is not a plug, but Belkin offer amazing product support. I'll try replacing the keyboard tonight and let you guys know.

Thanks again

Same problem here but mine will only see 1 mouse. I have to use 2 mice on my desk (each on plugged directly into the computer).

It sounds like Belkin is being nicer to you than they were to me. I emailed and called and the response was "there are some mobos that it just won't work with". I thought that was a pretty halfass answer. So what am I supposed to do with the damn thing now (see above).

I've also tried several other manufacturers models (yes, big server models that I brought home from work). I've tried different mice, keyboards and I'm using a freakin' new monitor but I still have the mouse problem.

If anyone can help me fix this I will give you my first born male. We are always looking for new members at our computer forums: Please come join our community too.

dumdum,
have you tried usb mice? On most of my PC's, I prefer to use USB trackballs, but keep a serial mouse as backup on the PC (for starting in safe mode). I assume you are running two (or more) PC's, and each one requires 2 mice. An effective solution (although not the sexiest) would be to have three mice on your desk. One from the KVM switch (PS2), and 2 USB mice (one attached to each PC).

Hi all

changing the keyboard was spot on. The keyboard i use is multifunctional which must have some incompatibility with the switch. I have the same keyboard at work as i do at home so i never clicked when testing. I found an ordinary PS2 keyboard and tried that and what do you know, it worked just fine!!! Oh well, live and learn, plus i scored the best 4-port Belkin switch... Now i finally can get some work done.

Cheers

Glad it worked out for you. In my case with the mouse I probably would have never chased it down, except that the mouse would get hot. I know, weird. Never knew a mouse could get hot either. On disassembly, I found one chip, and it must have been shorting. Glad you are up and running.

Attrofy

Yes, Belkin recomended that I try a USB Mouse but then that would have mean't buying another KVM switch and I could not get my money back on the first one I bought. So in essence I would be spending double on the switch.

Believe me... I have additional cables, mice and keyboards laying all over the place here and tried every combination possible (you may not believe that but its true). I've even tried it on 3 different computers etc. It just ain't working :-( We are always looking for new members at our computer forums: Please come join our community too.

I don't understand? Why would you need another swich?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back