Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

KVM switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

lintow

Programmer
Nov 29, 2004
US
I have a blekin KVM switch for two servers using one display

Will this work in two AIX machines?
and would I use the hotkeys on the keyboard to switch server display?

Thank you in advance

This really depends on what boxes you are using.
Traditionally RS/6000 has an issue with KVM switches. The one thing I can tell you, is they have to be POWERED. As long as both boxes keep the connection alive, it should work okay. The only company I know that states they support RS is blackbox.
However, you could run into a problem that I have now. The new RS6000s, p5s, have switched to USB. There is only one known keyboard and mouse that work with it, and I can't get that to flow through a KVM>

The other problem with KVM is the pSeries machines use 1280 X 1024 at a fairly high refresh rate (about 72Hz I think) if the switch can't handle that you have no chance.

IBM used to sell a kvm that was originally a cybex kvm If I remember correctly

The said thing is, the new IBM KVM switch has the same problem.... Basically, the whole USB and keyboard thing is completed messed up.
The IBM rackmount keyboard and mouse doesn't even work. So in order to get a graphics console, you'll have to use their mouse and keyboard which are seperate components.
Linux will work with an USB setup, but no SMS. AIX just plain never sees it.

We're using an Apex Outlook KVM to monitor several p650s without any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back