Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

KVM switch with USB converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewman76

Programmer
Mar 27, 2001
US
I have laptop and a desktop computer and I would like to use a 2 way KVM switch. The KVM switch simply switches whenever you hit scroll lock twice.

The laptop does not have the PS/2 style keyboard and mouse ports so I also purchased as Ps/2 -> USB converter cable, which puts both the keyboard and the mouse on the same USB port. The laptop does have a video port.

My problem is that the laptop does not seem to like having two devices (the USB->Ps/2 converter, and the KVM switch) between itself and the kb/mouse. Either it does not respond to keystrokes at all, or it types 6 letters for every one actually typed. The kb & mouse work fine when I just hook them directly to the converter with the laptop, and the KVM switch works fine when I use it between 2 desktop computers.

What are my options here? I could buy a usb keyboard and mouse but is there such a thing as a KVM switch with usb? I could also buy a docking station for the laptop as well but it seems silly to spend over $100 for a docking station just for this purpose. The laptop has just about every other port imaginable (along with 4 usb ports) so I don't have any other need for a docking station. I would be willing to spend the money for one of the really good digital 4 port KVM switches but would that even solve the problem?

In case it matters, both computers are Dells. The laptop is a 9100 and the desktop is a 4600.

Thanks for any advice.

Black Box makes a USB KVM switch.

Also, does your KVM switch have an AC adapter?
Most switches have an AC adapter option.

You need it for some laptops because the laptop keyboard port may not have the correct voltage for the KVM to sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back