Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

KVM switch reboot problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

trueharted

Programmer
Feb 12, 2002
US
I have two computers on a KVM switch. I've only had it for a few days. The first few days I kept both computers on. Then one morning one of my computers was running really slow so I rebooted it. The keyboard and mouse still work fine for both computers but now the monitor only works on the main computer but not for the other. The other computer has a built-in monitor and it works, but I don't want to have to keep looking back and forth at two monitors. I've tried rebooting both machines. I've tried unplugging and replugging everything again. The KVM is a Belkin. My computers are both Gateway. Any idea how to get the other monitor working?

Sounds like the KVM has died. If you can switch the keyboard and mouse the video portion should switch also.

You might want to take both systems back to standard VGA for a test to see if there is something in the settings that might have corrupted enough to keep the video from displaying.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Ok I need the make and model of the video card/s????
Need to know how the video is set up?
you sound like you are using a dual monitor type situation. the symptoms you discribe sounds like you have the KVM hooked up to the secondary display. you have to to turn on that monitor using the card utility on the primary monitor screen so it will work on the KVM.

I advise if this is the case...switch the primary and secondary output so the primary display is on the KVM and the secondary display is on the extra monitor.

also is the KVM switch a plugged-in powered KVM switch....non powered switches have issues

The other computer has a built-in monitor
I'm guessing it's a laptop? I'm not familiar with Gateway, but all laptops have a function key combo that switches the video between internal only, external only, and both. Usually it's the Function key+F2 or F4.

good catch LawnBoy I work on computers all day and I did not catch that (SMACK ON THE FOREHEAD).....LOL...

No, it is not a laptop. Thank you for your help, guys, but you're way over my head. I thought this would be a common problem with an easy solution, but I guess not. I'll have someone look at it locally.

trueharted:
You say it has a built-in monitor. Even if it's not a laptop, chances are good that it has some method of redirecting the video to the external connector (what the kvm switch is hooked to).

firewolfrl:
After being bitten by that more times than I will ever admit, I finally remember to check there first! [banghead]

Yes, it has a connection at the back that was hooked up to the switch. The problem was that I rebooted the machine then switched to my other machine to be efficient and didn't stay on the booting machine until it finished booting. When it was originally set up, there was a check box that wasn't checked that made it not look for an alternate monitor when I tried to fix the problem. Once the check box was checked, everything was fine as long as I remain on the booting pc until it has gone all the way through the boot process and realizes there is an alternate monitor to use as primary. The check box I am referring to is under Display Properties, Settings, Advanced, nView and it's called "Force detection of a monitor on the secondary connector." This is obviously specific to computers with built in monitors as there is no such option on my other pc. Thanks for attempting to help me though!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back