Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

KVM switch problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rastaIT34

Technical User
Sep 9, 2009
US
I have a KVM that connects 2 Win 7 computers for 1 keyboard and mouse.

Problem: After switching back to 1st computer, mouse works but keyboard stops working.

Process: Start up. keyboard and mouse work fine on computer 1. I then Hit the button to switch to Comp2 ..keywboard + mouse works fine. Then hit button to switch back to comp1 mouse works but keyboard stops working. volume button is only key that work.

What have i done differently since problem started?

> upgraded synergy software from 1.8.4 -> 1.8.6 -- no problem before upgrade
> did a windows 7 update -- no problem before upgrade

What have i done so far to find the problem?

> Synergy software: rolled back to version 1.7.5 ( can't find 1.8.4) -- no help
> tried to uninstall some of the 9 windows .NET updates. i don't think this is the problem. - no help
> started windows in safe mode with network on comp2... kvm works fine switching back and forth comp1 and 2.

I can't figure out what happened. The 1 thing i am sure of is that the issue is with comp2. Comp1 and 2 both run same OS. Any solutions?

Artist/Designer

Any solutions?

Get a KVM that 'simulates' a connection on the "disconnected" ports so the computer hardware does not 'drop' the devices.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

hi chris,

thanks for responding. I'm afraid I don't understand. I am not sure what you mean
Get a KVM that 'simulates' a connection on the "disconnected" ports

Artist/Designer

I think what Chris is talking about is that your KVM switch may see the computer as going to sleep or being turned off. Some KVM switches will then turn off ports or else switch to a different computer. Therefore, one solution could be to get a KVM that ignores the state of the connected computers/ports.

One other solution you may want to check is ensuring the power settings aren't putting the computer to sleep or else turning off USB devices/ports to save power. That's under advanced settings.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

ok... i wasn't having a problem earlier this week. and really i never had a problem at all with this KVM.

this problem just started recently. and its only with 1 computer

I've tried everything.

check is ensuring the power settings aren't putting the computer to sleep or else turning off USB devices/ports to save power. That's under advanced settings.
sounds promising...i think i might know what you are refering to but if you could walk me through it, i'd be appreciative....

one thing to mention is... a week or so ago i was having a issue where the machine i'm having problems with was constantly waking up whenever i put it to sleep.. so i found online a way to prevent this... i went into device manager and right clicked on the network adapter and under power manager i deselected all "wake on LAN" options.

ok so i just tried doing system restore.. and problem still exists...now i'm going to reinstall OS

my set up:

computer 1: windows 7 ultimate, 64 bit - 32gigs RAM - 3.4 TO 3.7 - desktop

computer 2: windows 7 ultimate, 64 bit - 16 GIGS RAM - Slower CPU 3.4 TO 3.4 - desktop

Artist/Designer

What sort of KVM is it?
Is it PS/2 or USB?
Is it one of those power saving ones which rely on at least one PC to power the KVM?

The PS/2s don't normally have problems. USBs sometimes get disconnected when the KVM is switched. To reiterate what Chris said - check the USB power saving settings.

Its a SYBA USB KVM.

I tried talking with tech support from SYBA, but they are useless and no help.

How do I know which USB item in the device manager to modify?

Artist/Designer

I posted earlier that I had solved the problem by uninstalling the network driver and then letting windows installing it again...for a while it seemed like it was ok... ... But I was a little to quick to the draw, the problem resurfaced,...

I then tried to reinstall windows... ugh that was a stupid mistake.... problem still exists...

Artist/Designer

I don't know, but something has me thinking. I cannot say for sure this would be the issue, but...

You mentioned when you redid the network adapter driver, it acted right for a short while.
You mentioned earlier that when you booted in safe mode, everything seemed to work fine.

Makes me wonder if it's a buggy driver for your network card or elsewhere?

Would it be possible to try a different network card that would use a different driver altogether? For instance, if it's an Intel network chipset, try a Broadcom card or other?

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Everyone, thanks for your advice and patience. ( Again kjv1611 my apologies for double posting and thanks for deleting the post... I don't want to piss anyone off here, because this is a great resource...

Regarding the network card. I tried several things. I noticed the driver was from 2013, so i went online to Intel's website and downloaded their driver update utility, " Intel(R) Driver Update Utility 2.6" See image attachment:
Capture_twvjds.jpg

And regarding the safe mode test, i did safe mode with networking.

Ok... at the moment,... everything is working fine under this configuration:

> New install of Windows 7 SP1 with the no updates option chosen at start of installation.

> I have the KVM running on both computer 1 and computer 2. I never had a problem with computer 1 dropping the keyboard when switching back and forth with the KVM.

> Synergy is also running on both computers, server and client...I know as soon as I hit stop on either client/server the problem will resurface.

Artist/Designer

Glad to hear it's working so far. Keep us posted as time progresses. Just remember with the Windows 7 Updates: if you don't at least take the security updates, then you're machine will be more vulnerable. The whole update deal can be so annoying at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back