Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

KT7A -- Installs windows, but locks up immediately after starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I just bought a new mobo, Abit KT7A with 1.2 Athlon. First problem was with Shuttle Geforce2Mx..incompatible..tried a different video card, finishes loading windows, type in password in windows, and locks up immediately after entering the password. Tested hard drive, works in other comps. Any ideas?

You might need a bios upgrade to use the combination of motherboard and components.

The GeForce will work just fine on that board. Your problem is most likely too much heat or flaky RAM. The combination you have is a touchy one, and you should get the biggest heat sink/fan you can find for that, and make sure you have good quality RAM. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Thanks for the help. Here's the deal though.

Has a Thermaltake Volcano II heatsink AMD recommended for the the 1.2 Athlon

Ram is being used in another comp, works perfectly.

Currently looking into whether ps is bad or not.

Any more ideas let me know.

Just because the RAM works in one computer, doesn't mean it will work in this one. The Volcano is an excellent choice, and actually better than the Volcano 5!
What are the temps on it? (Check in BIOS)
Did you use the thermal paste (only a very little, just enough to help the CPU make contact with the heat sink)?
Right after I posted yesterday, I built a similar system, same mobo, but with a 1.4 and GeForce on it. The Volcano 2 as well, and it works spendidly, but I DID put 256 meg of MICRON RAM on it... Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

I am having about the same problem, except instead of crashing immediately it crashes at random times.

It appears to be an issue with sounds, but sometimes it occurs even with no sound playing.

when i try to play mp3s it will crash somewhere in the first song 99% of the time.
When I play starcraft it plays between 20 minutes and hours.. I've played 3-4 hours straight without incident, but the sounds that are played make an out hissing background sound only while they are playing.

I tried switching out my sb live value to a sb audigy mp3. still crashes.
also switched out the hard drive and loaded a fresh install on the new hd, still crashes.

current config:

atx case 250W PS
tyan trinity s2390 mb
duron 700 mhz processor
512 mb Crucial motherboard matched PC133 CAS2 SDRAM
Western Digital 40Gig 7200 rpm ata/100 HDD
ATI All-In-Wonder Rage 128 16 mb AGP 2x
3COM 3c509b NIC
Promise ATA/100 pci card

my new suspects are the processor and the power supply.
new athlons are getting cheaper(1ghz = 90$), and i can get a 400w ps for 30$

but this is getting a little expensive switching out perfectly good parts..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back