Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ksh not reading .profile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grindel

Technical User
Jun 25, 2002
CA
I have a SUSE 9.2 installation running KDE. I've been using ksh for many years now, and am kind of averse to changing to any of the shells offered (bash, ksh etc.) So, I downloaded pdksh and compiled it without too much problem. Changed my shell to ksh. Unfortunately, when I start a terminal session the shell doesn't read my .profile. I've seen this behavior on my Solaris box with CDE, but can't remember the solution. Any ideas?
TIA
Rick

First, a recommendation from a diehard ksh fan... don't bother with pdksh. Get ksh from kornshell.com, you have to download a lot of crap, but eventually you'll end up with a ksh binary. If not, just use bash. I prefer ksh for programming and bash for interactive.

Second, are you running it from login correctly? Also, you say you changed your shell to "ksh", do you mean "pdksh"?

Thanx for the info - I'll go and check out the AT&T version. In my passwd file, I changed my shell from /bin/bash to /usr/local/bin/ksh. The binary is called ksh not pdksh. I think it's just a setting somewhere in my KDE environment, but danged if I can find it. Not going to spend a WHOLE lot of time on this, but I'd prefer to have ksh over bash. - just my aversion to change kicking in :)

Thanks...
Rick

Ah, you need to run your kterm with some sort of switch to indicate that it's a login shell. for xterm it's "-ls", but I don't use KDE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back