Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Known Safe Way to Install Briefcase 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

grnzbra

Programmer
Mar 12, 2002
US
I Googled "Briefcase Windows 10" and got a bunch of hits. Going to the Microsoft site, all I got was "Use Windows DriveOne" that has a whole 7GB of free space. Other hits suggested that I download and run a file and do some stuff and that would give me Briefcase. I'd like to do this but am hesitant to download and .exe from someplace I don't know. Does anyone have a site that they would trust to download and run a file to install Briefcase?

Doesn't work in Windows 10 anymore, so doing the reg edit trick won't help. Just use any of the multitude of free file sync programs out there, a good one to look at and try is Allway Sync from allwaysync. Easy to set up, easy to use, and no adware or other crap found in some. Or do a search for free sync tools windows 10 and choose another that meets your needs. And Micro$oft wants you to use Onedrive, because they would like you to purchase additional cloud storage.

Thank you. Kinda figured it was a marketing thing. 7GB doesn't go very far when you have several thousand pix at 15MB+ each

As mentioned, there are multiple free options out there. One I really like is SyncBack Free - they have paid versions as well, but the Free version does a LOT. It does more than most other paid programs, not to mention free.

Microsoft introduced their own sync tool back in Windows 7 I believe it was. I believe it was Live Mesh or something along those lines. However, that may have now gone the way of the dodo with all the other Microsoft Live packaged software. I looked into that for one situation but ended up sticking with Syncback. I've used that program in many scenarios now for probably 10+ years.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

7GB doesn't go very far when you have several thousand pix at 15MB+ each
I'm really thinking about this. Supermodel photographer?? Piquing my interest.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Maybe pictures in RAW format. No supermodels needed.

Google Drive works fine on windows 10 and you get an initial 15 gig of storage for free and additional storage above that is MUCH cheaper them microsoft. The first 15GB of storage is free, but 100GB now costs just $1.99 per month. Even more impressively, though, you can now get a terabyte of online storage for $9.99 a month.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Apple's costs are also in line if you think you like iCloud better than Google Drive. If you want to use Microsoft Office 365, though, you come out better just using them for storage as well, which is as I imagine why they have it priced the way they do.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

I think the cost of Office 365 is the overall winner.

I pay £79/year for 1TB Dropbox space. I am going to migrate all my home emails and storage to Office 365 as it cost the same and I get a lot more for it.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

Thats assuming that you want to pay the fee for Microsoft Office 365 forever. Personally at home I use Libre office ( which is an open source version of Microsoft office and it works great.

Bill
New York State, USA

Yeah, but I am also talking about MS hosting your email etc, and not just the software. five mail boxes for that price.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

The only problem I have with Microsoft hosting anything for me is that they look into your email and documents so that they can make "suggestions" to you. That is why I totally disabled Cortana in my windows 10 machine. I have NO wish tfor the Microsoft mothership knowing my business.

Bill
New York State, USA

Don't have an increased sense of privacy because you're not using Microsoft hosted email and you have Cortana turned off. Well, maybe "increased" but not "overwhelming". Windows 10 still tattles back to Microsoft.

Too bad your email is not on Microsoft overseas servers. Then they are protected from the U.S. government, strange if you think about it.
Link

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

I bought a 2 TB Seagate external hard drive. It's very tiny. Cheaper and faster than the cloud. I can store in the safe when not in use, too.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

I have a one gig SSD drive myself but I have to admit that cloud storage is much safer. They perform backup and it is stored on multiple servers so the chance of you losing your files is very low. However having it on a single external drive is a single point of failure. It something happens to your drive (someone steals the safe, fire, head crash...) you are totally out of luck.

Bill
New York State, USA

>Libre Office ... an open source version of Microsoft office

That's just what it is not. It is a fork of OpenOffice, which itself was a version of the proprietary Star Office.

When you have an application that can read and write on use all the file formats that microsoft office can (except access) I consider that it is an office replacement. Actually it can do a lot that office never could

Bill
New York State, USA

Beilstwh said:
The only problem I have with Microsoft hosting anything for me is that they look into your email and documents so that they can make "suggestions" to you. That is why I totally disabled Cortana in my windows 10 machine. I have NO wish tfor the Microsoft mothership knowing my business.

So do all the major mail hosters. Google is the worst. (free hosting)

Actually I cant remmeber any adverts appearing in my work Office 365 account since its a paid for subscription. the only pop-ups you get is MS suggesting you actually use their software for mail.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

> read and write on use all the file formats that microsoft office can

Firstly, plenty of programs can read multiple formats. That doesn't make them versions of the program that originated that format. For example, Excel can directly open Lotus 123 files (format WKS thru WK4), but that doesn't make turn Excel into Microsoft 123.

Furthermore Libre Office cannot read and write all Microsoft Office formats. Nothing with VBA macros, for example, works (so DOCM and XLSM). And even with the Microsoft formats it can open there are often layout differences from the original.

This is not to say that Libre Office is not an viable alternative to Microsoft Office, just that it is not an open source version of Microsoft Office in any sense whatsoever, which is what you stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back