Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Know nothing about Registry editor,any other way to tweak win98? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

skate

Technical User
Nov 29, 2002
CA
I have learned the hard way not to mess with things you know nothing about lol. thanks for the info (Alt255) but maybe there is an easer way to tweak win98? or maybe there is some way i can get some of my memorey on my hard drive back?i know i probley have alot of crap on my computer that is taking up space. is there any way i might be able to get rid of things that i dont use anymore. i have seen programs that will let you wipe out some of the cookies and other things that might be left behide when you uninstall programs.is there maybe something i can do that will go through and tell me what it belongs to or maybe what it was or is for? well thanks as always for your guys time and all. and any info would realy help. i dont have alot of memory and would like to use it wisely. thanks.....john

reclaim disk space:

delete file0001.chk in c:\ and all files of similar name (filexxxx.chk).
delete anything in c:\temp or c:\windows\temp.
Empty your temporary internet items folder.
Delete all cookies in the c:\windows\cookies folder if you have one.
Delete "c:\program files\on line" folder if it exists.
Go to start, settings, add remove programs and uninstall any programs you don't need any more.

This usually gives a load of space back.
To change other settings without hacking the registry, download TweakUI.

Zel

Some utility problems are written poorly. Some are great. I use Nortons in my workplace. Its very helpful. BUT the major problem is those installed utilities not know what you're doing. When a utility is going to clean your drive, you still need to monitor it and KNOW what files are not necessary. There is no magic bullet to speeding up your computer. Everyone wants a quick fix. Nortons, defrags, wipes, and scandisk better the Windows version. But everyone still need to do things the long way to keep your system up.

1. Scandisk (Always before anything else).
2. Defrag.
3. Keep your temp folder clean.
4. Don't have unnecessary programs starting up. (Remove Fast Find out of startup too.)
5. Resist the desire tweak your system every chance you get.
6. Stop downloading unknown utilities.
7. Have a good amount of virtual memory.
8. Have a good amount of RAM for your system.
9. Do a cold boot, every fews days.
10. If you've got Office, dont use the Office Bar. It takes up 4 meg.
11. Dont purchase are the latest software, if your machine is a piece of crap. (Dont get mad cause Office 2000 is slow on your 486.
12. Check your RUN folder to see whats starting up without your knowledge.

The organization where I work uses McAffee.com for it's virus scanning and they really do an excellent job. They also provide an excellent resource of of on-line applications which will help you to clean a lot of garbage out of your system.

Also, is another great place to visit.

Yea, but be careful with one of those latest McAfee cleaners, its been rendering machines inoperable by taking out toooo much stuff. WHen using those utilities, you still have to be savvy enough to know to disregard some of the cleaner's suggestions.

Disconockerated, for security reasons, you can't create that type of link here (it will just dump you at the front door). You need to link with the number listed at the top of the FAQ.

Look at the top of this thread, just below the title. You'll see thread615-37299. that's the type of link you need to use when refering others to threads and FAQS here. You just type it into your post and the markup language will convert it into a hyperlink.

Which FAQ were you refering to? I am interested in all performance tweaks.
VCA.gif

Alt255@Vorpalcom.Intranets.com

check-out I use their X=Setup for some tweeks on Win98SE and it is pretty good. I seems to be supported by users so there is a wealth of tweeks that are registry things but it does it for you.

Check the date of the previous response, over 3 years ago. The original poster also may no longer be checking it.

I have a problem preventing other unauthorised users using my computer in Windows 98. Is there a way that one can do these in the REGISTRY. Please help me as I would like to do this to create a password and prevent unauthorised access to my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back