Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Knoppix booting--NOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

exverizon

Technical User
Oct 11, 2002
US
I've tried it three times on 3 CDs.
Download the image file (ISO), version 4.0.2. Done.
Burn it slowly (4X) to a blank CD. Used Roxio last time. Done.
Set BIOS to boot from CD/ROM ahead of HD. Done.
Restart (XP Home).
Boots Windows. Boots Windows. Boots Windows.
What am I missing?

Are you creating a disk from the image or just burning the image to CD?

The answer is "42"

Good question; can't say because I can't define the difference. I put in a blank CD to my drive/burner, copy the downloaded ISO file to the CD which is about a 694meg file, choose "Burn" (disk-at-a-time, or whatever). It burns, verifies, etc. All the instructions I see tell me to "burn the ISO image to a CD." Isn't that what I just described? What else can I do? I guess I need a course in terminology.

OK, in nero there is an option to "burn CD from image" You need to fin this option and what it will do is read the iso (compressed file) and write the files to the CD. When you are done there will be many files on the CD not just one. Don't feel too bad what you did is exactly what I did the first time.

The answer is "42"

Or simply double click the .iso as it sits on your HD. Roxio will automatically handle it correctly.

I must be living wrong. When I clicked on the ISO icon on the HD, it opened the compressed file and listed all the files and folders it comprises (autorun.bat, index.html, Knoppix folder, Boot folder, etc). I then copied all that content to a CD and burned it. SLOWLY. With Roxio. Verified it. (This was all done on a new iMac CD/DVD burner).
Put it in the PC's CD tray, rebooted...straight into Windows!! Yet I can launch a browser to see the Knoppix opening page from the CD, so it's readable on some level. When you insert your Knoppix CD and list its files (operating under Windows), do you see any more than a host of files and folders as I've mentioned? I can't understand what the boot process is looking for that's not sitting there in plain sight ready to go.

You DO understand that the PC BIOS must be adjusted to seek boot media in the CD drive FIRST?! There is a boot order!

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

Absolutely. THAT I've got. It's been that way since the first attempt. I've verified it any number of times: 1) Floppy drive; 2) CD-ROM drive; 3) Hard disk. It's as if the CD isn't even there. Right to Windows without fail. I just this minute made CD-ROM #1 and floppy #2, and got the same result. This is XP Home; also tried it on a laptop with XP Pro, same result. It's got to be some issue with the CD content, but all the files are there as far as I can tell. When I click on the CD icon, it launches a browser and I get the Knoppix intro page, so the CD can be read, apparently. But booting? Nope.

As was noted earlier, there is a distinct difference between burning the .ISO as a single file onto the CD and appropriately using the .ISO to create the bootable CD you need.

Google is your friend, or a WinXP forum here might be.

You can also obtain the CD by order from Knoppix, or have someone else burn one for you.

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

You said you expanded the ISO to its component files then burned those files to the cd. That doesn't work.

You have to burn the .iso IMAGE to the cd. There is a section under Roxio that has BURN IMAGE and one that is CREATE IMAGE. Use the Burn Image. This uncompresses the ISO image and puts everything in the correct place on the cd.

Hi,
I had a similar problem with Adaptec Easy CD Creator, which I believe became Roxio if I'm not mistaken.

To burn a bootable CD for an Unattended Install of Windows XP, AFTER I had an .iso file ready to go I STILL NEEDED to obtain a boot sector image to put on the CD.

The Adaptec software had a feature buried somewhere within which asked me where to obtain the boot sector/image/data or some such. I finally put a bootable DOS floppy into the floppy drive and selected that, and VIOLA! It created a bootable CD.

Same symptoms. Burned a CD from an iso image repeatedly. Booted into Windows Repeatedly. Until I did as described above.

Try it.

--torandson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back