Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Kindle browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterpann

Programmer
Jun 19, 2007
GB
My web pages are okay in IE, FX, Opera, Safari, Chrome but not always on a Kindle 2. Which browser and version do I

need to develop for Kindle 2 ? Where can I get one ? Which HTML/DOM/CSS/javascript features should I avoid ? Hoping this is the correct forum, thanks.

AFAIK the Kindle Browser is standards compliant. You need to be specific as to what you define as NOT OK.

Your question too vague to answer as MODAL popups look and work fine on tablet or larger displays but on smaller and mobile phones they can be a real PITA.

Darryn Cooke
| Marketing and Creative Services

Is this a JavaScript issue?
To my mind far too many web sites rely too heavily on JavaScript meaning they don't display correctly (or at all) on a JavaScript disabled browser. I'm wondering if this is what's going on here?

Regards, Andy.
My pathetic attempts at learning HTML can be laughed at here:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://qsl.net/2e0waw/index.htm[/url]

To my mind far too many web sites rely too heavily on JavaScript
How else are we meant to do client side DOM manipulation?

Plus why keep hitting the server when you can use the client's computing power to do stuff?

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Free Dance Music Downloads

Thanks everyone. Can I get a copy of Amazon's Silk Browser to run on a pc ?

Thanks, but Amazon's Silk Browser is for the Kindle Fire. How can I get a pc emulator for the browser used in the Kindle 2 ?

Darryn, in case you have missed it: the Kindle Fire is not a Kindle 2.

Kindle 2 uses something called Basic Web. No idea what it is based on, and I'm pretty certain there was never a version available for any other hardware platform

strongman, you are right. I assumed that we were talking about a tablet not a reader.

Since that is the case, I wouldn't concern myself with websites looking good or not on a reader. It's not their intended purpose.

Darryn Cooke
| Marketing and Creative Services

All mobile browsers work perfectly fine with JS and disabling it is almost unheard of.
I would always recommend designing a site to operate with raw HTML & restrict JavaScript to add non-essential enhancements

even my kindle3 lists the web browser as Experimental so I would not expect much in the way of JavaScript support

A Maintenance contract is essential, not a Luxury.
Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

1DMF - JS is fine where needed, but I see it used to produce hyperlinks (amongst other basic HTML operations), where a simple HTML link would be simpler and more reliable. To my mind this is just bad design.

Sorry, rant over. <grin>

Regards, Andy.
My pathetic attempts at learning HTML can be laughed at here:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://qsl.net/2e0waw/index.htm[/url]

Agreed, a lot of sites use 'document.write' to output their site's content, so would be a blank page without JS = Bad design

However, many sites these days just wouldn't function correctly without JS, funky sliders, application GUI's, DHTML, AJAX etc.. = Great UX

Currently I see countless sites now using HTML 5 / CCS3 , when HTML5 is yet to become a full standard, so has even less support in many browsers than JS does.

Even the W3C validator is only 'experimental' and doesn't work properly for HTML 5.

So even strictly HTML sites wouldn't work properly depending on the doctype and browser being used!

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Free Dance Music Downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back