Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Kick Start a Discovery 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky0904

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2002
GB
I have set up sms2003, i have the heartbeat and Network discovery methods configured.

Is there any way i can kick-strat the discovery, i know there are pc's to be discovered but the ere not appearing on the list apart from my sms server and the sqlserver i used ojn the installation.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi discovered how to do this, just restart the services.

Mark

For network discovery, you can manually create a schedule. This is a bit better method, as you don't have to restart all of the SMS services.

The key, however, is to set the schedule a few minutes a head of time. For example, if the current time is 1:00pm, and you want to kick the discovery off as soon as possible, schedule the discovery for 1:05pm instead of 1:00pm. The reason, is that SMS has to process the information before it starts running. This might take a few minutes.

In the beginning, I had problems with this scheduling because I wanted the discovery to happen immediately, so I would schedule it immediately. Later I would notice in the SMS logs that the discovery never took place. It was then when I realized that I had to place the schedule time a few minutes in advance...

-hope this helps (even though you have found an alternative way)

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back