Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

keywords list at page's bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwrman

IS-IT--Management
Dec 20, 2005
CA
hello,

does anybody know if there is an seo benefit\penalty to having a keyword list at the obottom of a page?

I see that micorsoft does this for their KB articles. Could that just be for their site search functionality?

Keywords no longer carry much weight in search engine placement. They've been abused so much in the past that search engines nowadays rarely use them in ranking.

The "keywords" you referred to on Microsoft's Knowledge Base pages are for their own site's search engine recognition for the subjects the page covers.

Lee

A bunch of keywords shoved at the top/bottom of a page do look stupid, so while there is unlikely to be a automatic penalty with the SEs there may well be a penalty from the more savvy visitors.

There is no real need for it either as each page should only target 2 or 3 phrases, making this kind of keyword stuffing superfluous.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Woo Hoo! the cobblers kids get new shoes.
People Counting Systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

For "localizing" I have had success with a list of towns at the bottom of the content. Is that KW stuffing?

We Service in the Following Areas:
Town1, state
Town2, state
Town3, state
Town4, state

This has infact helped ranking for searches with the town name with other KW'ds. I don't see why it wouldn't help with other kw'ds. If you notice I did only say "help", my doubts in competitive markets would have much of an impact.

xtendscott
Home Improvement Watch | Cryosurgery | Walla Walla Portal | Walla Walla Martial Arts

I assume that when GWRMan refers to keywords, he does not necessarily mean the contents of a keywords meta tag, but rather the words and phrases that potential visitors will search on.

I've had a little success with what he is proposing. But it only works if the keywords are presented in a friendly human-readable form, not just a raw list of terms.

As an example, see the "summary of services" at the bottom of the page at
Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back