Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keyring...no usable private keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

neh

MIS
May 23, 2003
US
I've just downloaded a freeware version of PGP. I've read two tutorials online and it sounds like it should be simple enough. When I try to decrypt a message a box pops up saying "1 unknown(s) keys." It also says, "It is not possible to decrypt this message because your keyring does not contain usable private key(s) corresponding to any of the above public key(s). Thanks for any assistance.

neh

After installing PGP, a key for myself was automatically created. I created other keys for the people I planned to e-mail, after installation.

I was under the impression that when I sent an e-mail with PGP, that it would ask me for a (forgive me for not knowing the correct terminology) word (passphrase?) to have the recipient use to decrypt my e-mail. It wouldn't process my request unless I gave the passphrase they said never to give out.

Thanks for your help!

You don't create keys for other people. Other people *send* you their public keys and you add them to your public keyring. You need to associate the public key you got from the person which varies between mua's, typically it is done in the addressbook/contacts section.

--
Andy

Andy, thanks for replying. I understood that there was 2 ways to get someone's public key...have them send it, or request it from the server. I did the latter. I believe I misled you by using the word, "create."

I can make this work through "conventional encryption," but not without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back