Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keycodes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

xceler8

MIS
Apr 5, 2001
US
I was wondering if there was a way to get your Windows 95/98 installation keycode from a machine that already has Windows running? I have a machine that needs to be re-formatted and would like to re-install without having to buy Windows again (seeing as the former techie here decided not to keep documentation). Also, if you know of a way to get this from Office2000 as well, I would greatly appreciate it.

Not sure about office, but if you open regedit (or edit the system.dat file with wordpad, it's too big for notepad) and search for "productkey" (sans quotes), there it is.
This is assuming you are the legal owner of the software, and are NOT pirating anything, otherwise completely disregard all my statements, and remove this thread immediately. Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Moderator at Staff at Windows 9x/ME instructor.
Jim's Modems:

Yes, I am the legal owner of the operating system. Thanks for your help ComTech, it worked!

Anyone else know about getting the product code from Office2000?

Try, regedit. local machine>software>microsoft>windows> and click on current version.
rafales@alltel.net

Dear XCELER8,

Did you ever get an answer regarding Office2000 keycode. I am quite interested on how/where to find the keycode.

Thanks

The information that you are looking for about office 2000 can be found on the CD's, but I can't remember exactly how I found them. But this could be a starting point for your search. Sorry I could not supply more information. Good Luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back