Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keycode reqd message

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared R

Technical User
Jun 25, 2017
US
Good afternoon,
I’m hoping someone can tell me what “keycode reqd” means on a Nortel BCM? I just purchased a used BCM50 and I can’t really seem to do much with it. I don’t know if that means I have to get new key codes or what? Also my indicator lights are red and green(which I believe is not normal),I don’t know if that has to do with it or not? I’m hoping somebody can tell me what my next step should be to make this work because I am puzzled. Thanks in advance!

Check keycode summary of the BCM ?
Which indicator are red

Since you do not know anything about BCM your first step should be to contact a vendor whom knows and services BCM to see what it has for keycodes (if any), why the alarm light is red and program the system for you.
It is possible you purchased a BCM with no keycodes.

"keycode required" can we assume you mean when you plug in a phone or phones they say this on the display?

When purchasing something it is best to ask release #, keycodes, age, patches installed, does it power up so that you can make an appropriate offer.

Word has it the KRS has been shutdown for BCM keycode services.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

I have 4 analog trunks and 8 digital sets(I think that’s what you meant by key code summary?) Also the Nortel symbol light is red.

If it's licensed 4x8 that means only the first 8 digital extensions will operate normally. The last 4 will display "keycode reqd" when pressing any button on the phone. Hundreds of detected problems can cause a red lite. Check the alarm log in Element Manager for any major or critical alarms that are causing your red lite.

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

curlycord, I saw your post about the KRS may have been shutdown.

Sorry for piggybacking my issue on this thread, but I have a BCM450 and I need to add another IP telephony seat to it. I'm confused as to how some of these stores online are selling the keycodes. So, if I buy a keycode from them, and they advertise that they can "authorize" or "validate" it for an additional fee (in this case $50 that I've been seeing)....how is it that they can do it if the KRS is shutdown for good?

As it just shutdown they may need to update websites still or they have not been selling any anyway so they do not worry about it or never gave it thought since those companies deal with so many other parts.....I do not really know.

My firm has other ways of dealing with this issue so not all is lost.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Usually a BCM 50 comes out of a box 4X8 but the BCM you need to work your way backwards on punching the digital sets on the Amphonol cable. You will need key codes for the extra 4 extensions.

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back