Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keyboards with "Power" and "Sleep" keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotEye

Programmer
Jan 10, 2001
GB
Some new keyboards we have here have three extra keys, "Power", "Sleep" and "Wake" (some have strange symbols instead, but equate to the same thing).

Anyway, my question is: Is there a way to disable them?

The reason for this is that when pressed, the Power and Sleep keys basically turn the system off, which, with applications open has a tendancy to corrupt data!

If the system prompted about unsaved or open applications, as a normal shut down does, then it wouldn't matter, but these keys appear to bypass that and turn the system off.

Thanks in advance.

HotEye

If you remove the software you installed for the keyboards and just load standard drivers for them those keys shouldnt do anything.

Thanks, but no software was installed.

These keys work from a fresh install of Win98SE.

See if there are any settings in the Bios for this... :eek:) and then turn them all off...

You did not inticate your O/S. If win98 type msconfig in the run line. Go to startup tab and uncheck anything that has keyboard in the name or location col. If win95 go to a win98 machine and copy msconfig.exe and .cnt to a floppy and run it on the win95 machine to do the same thing.

if you turn off power management in windows, as well as in bios, i dont think they will do anything.

X-)

I would just buy a cheap keyboard, or return the one you are using. It seem that those buttons never really work.

We have a solution for this problem. We tried this and it really works. Take a screw driver, shove it under the base of those two keys and pop them off...............When you don't have those keys, you would not tend to press them........ Hope this solves your problem.............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back