Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keyboard works in boot up for password, not when I enter Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

FXP

Programmer
Sep 17, 2004
US
I have been using my Acer 10 tablet for about six months and had upgraded to Win 10 a while ago with no problems. This morning the keyboard stopped working. I checked the contacts to the tablet because it has a detachable keyboard, cleaned them with a soft brush, cleaner and rebooted, no luck. The keyboard when it boots allows me to key in my password and I have a USB mouse attached to the keyboard that works, but none of the keys work once I'm logged into Windows? If the screen times out and I try to enter the Password again, nothing. I can navigate around using the mouse, but have no ability to enter keyboard information. I went to Devices in Windows and uninstalled the keyboard drivers, rebooted, nothing. It says the drivers are up to date. I ran Windows troubleshooting for devices, nothing. The onscreen keyboard has always worked. Since the keyboard does work for login I've concluded its a software problem. I'm stumped and would appreciate any suggestions, all welcome.

If this is a recent occurrence then try fixing things via System Restore.

How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating system configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows Vista (or 7, or 8, or 10).

See, Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Recovery\ Open System Restore

What happens if you test from Safe Mode, or if you test with a different Windows user rather than your current user?

How to start Windows 8, or 10, in Safe Mode

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8, or Windows 10.

Set up accounts

Have you asked any hardware engineer dealing with the subject. I also faced similar problem in my PC and called hardware engineer ,he told me that windows 10 is to be installed again. He did it but even then the problem was not solved. After discussing the matter with my friend, he told me to visit here. Here I found microsoft customer care number and asked the solution of the problem. They told me step by step method and after proper installation, keyboard and mouse started working.

Thanks for the reply, after reading it I did try safe mode with no luck. The added problem is that the tablet is new and a restore point was not setup so can't go back, but I did create a USB recovery drive which I'm not ready to use yet. I think its been isolated to the USB driver which is not treating the keyboard as such once I log on to Windows? Is there someway to just reset the USB and how would I do it.

Thanks,
Frank

You could try this common fix for USB problems.

Use Device Manager and uninstall the USB root hubs and devices that show on your machine now. Right-click on each entry to get to the uninstall option.

Reboot and let Windows rediscover the ports.

Does the Keyboard work on another machine?

Do other USB drives, when connected, show up in the My Computer folder?

USB Device Troubleshooting.

See if this is of use to you.

USBDeview

Do the On Screen Keyboard work for you?

I fixed the problem! It turned out it was WINDOWS 10 that caused the problem. The Filter Keys were somehow switched on and it disables the keyboard for handicapped users. I discovered this on another machine when it happened too, but this time an unrecognized icon appeared in my system tray. The icon was for these filter keys and when I turned them off the keyboard came back. How this stupid thing got toggled on I don't have a clue. The original PC with the problem didn't show the Filter Key icon in the system tray so I was stumped, didn't know they existed. Something for others to check, if this should happen to them. Thanks for all your help.

I'm glad you have fixed it. Make sure your get System Restore working so that it is available for next time you have a problem.

Windows accessible options are horrible. For example, I accidentally turned on the option that speaks what is shown on the screen. It took me over an hour of research to find out how to turn it off. The option is about 10 menus down. If a single key stroke can turn it on, a single keystroke should be able to turn it off.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back