Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keyboard Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dseaver

IS-IT--Management
Jul 13, 2006
I am looking for a new keyboard for my desktop. I have been using my Microsoft Wireless Desktop Elite for 3.5 + years now without any problems, but now I don't really like it anymore. I am looking at a good typing keyboard (since I am a junior in CE, will be doing a lot of programming in the future). I was looking at Das Keyboard, but I don't like the fact that it does cost $80, but I may just suck it up and buy it, unless there are other suggestions here. I don't need all the media buttons and whatnot, i just want a keyboard that will be good for typing, I will be doing papers and coding with it. I don't need to consider gaming, since i have my Belkin Nostromo for that. I would take an ergonomic keyboard under consideration, it could be wired or wireless, leaning more towards a USB keyboard, since it will be used on my next rig (when i end up building it)

Thanks!

Since you will be using it for coding you would want all the special characters consistent with your current keyboard. has the license for the IBM Buckling Spring key technology, taken from the Selectric and IBM's first consumer PCs. I bought one for my wife, a touch typist, and she loves it, but boy does it make a racket! They also have "quiet" keyboards.

Myself, I am a modified hunt & peck typist, and I use the Logitech DiNovo Bluetooth both at work and at home, it separates the dust-collecting keypad into a separate "media unit" that I keep in a drawer. I love its small size and silence, it's like a laptop. It has a double-size Backspace and Delete keys, which I constantly use and is a valuable feature to me.

It may be worth a trip to Fry's or a local electronics store to "test drive" the keyboard, and although money is important value is more important, this is the way you will interface with your PC and is a very 'personal' purchase.

Or, you just get a generic $6 keyboard, it will do its job just fine.

Tony

Users helping Users...

I was looking at because it was a clicky keyboard and i kind of like the idea of no labels on the keys. So noise is not an important factor, although i would kind of like a clicky one. A number pad is a must, so the fact of removing the number pad does not help in deciding, it will always be there. A $6 keyboard does not interest me, I want a good quality one, so spending a some cash is expected. Thanks wahnula!

As stated, a keyboard is really quite a personal thing. If you have ever been happy with one of the cheap keyboards usually supplied with a new PC, then virtually anything will do!

The problem that I am finding these days is that the displays have got significantly smaller (CRT to Flat panels) whilst keyboards seem to be exploding.

I like the DiNovo too because it is cleverly sized. I actually like the detached NumPad because I often have to input loads of numbers too and I can have it handy to the left of the main keyboard (because I am strangely cack-handed) or on top of the publications that I am copying the numbers from.

Regards: tf1

I always loved Cherry keyboards, but the prices will make the DAS look a bargain. They possibly have the nicest feel and last a lifetime.
Old rule, you get what you pay for.

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

I got a Das Keyboard II for christmas.

You won't regret it.

It absolutely ROCKS.

And with the gold-plated mechanical switches, they're good for something like 50 million keypresses....

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

In the past 15 years I've used keyboards from Keytronic. They're plain and have no sexy looks. But I like their tactile feedback. I'm pleased to see that they still make keyboards, now as USB, so I won't make typing mistakes on my next computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back