Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keyboard settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

dracuella

Programmer
Mar 10, 2001
DK
Hi all,

I've found that when I open the dos prompt, my keyboard language settings are overridden or something. I have a UK version of Win ME but the keyboard language set to Danish. How do I get the dos prompt to acknowledge these settings?
I'm close to downloading a real DOS-mode patch but isn't there a way to get around it?

-drac

Probably old news by now but I only just joined this forum. MS admits to "problem" in KB article Q272719, but for some reason the fix is only available from PSS (I haven't tried to get hold of it yet). The old "keyb uk" doesn't work either - see Q261417. Not much help I'm afraid - try PSS.

A couple possibilities come to mind - Not sure what the drivers are doing but this may easy way out ---
Click Start + Programs + Accessories --- Right click MS-DOS and click PROPERTIES - Click on the PROGRAM tab and Select/DeSelect "Prevent MS-Dos based Programs from Detecting Windows" -- Apply the "?" help for a so-so description. If that doesn't work - use the MEMORY tab and play with the memory settings ("none"). These fixes may prevent the conflict you are experiencing. If not, you have had some education in launching ME dos mode and maybe some fun.

Hi, me again! I think I misunderstood the KB article. In the "International" tab of the system config utility (System Information App/Tools Menu) I've set my keyboard data file name to just keyboard.sys (no path), and the kbd in the DOS prompt works fine now. Maybe the PSS route is only if this doesn't work for your setup??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back